• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end ID - Is this what I think it is?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
This is the rear end on my 79 Dodge truck. From pictures I've seen, this looks like the real deal. Is it a 9.75"? Definitely looks like it's leaked oil, but I never had any problems with it all the years I drove it. Worth salvaging?

[attachment=2:19a0j4eh]dana.jpg[/attachment:19a0j4eh]

[attachment=1:19a0j4eh]dana2.jpg[/attachment:19a0j4eh]

[attachment=0:19a0j4eh]axle.jpg[/attachment:19a0j4eh]

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks like a 9 3/4 here is a my car diff to compare, also depending on brand and year it could be a dana 44 in a light weight truck [attachment=0:1hp2aorv]road runner 315 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:1hp2aorv]

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Looks to be a Dana. I think they were a Dana 70 in the trucks then.

It will have the full floating axles instead of the semi-floaters the car need.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Thanks fellahs. I'll prolly stick with my 8.75 for the RR. It already has the gear ratio I want and the truck's rear would have needed lots of work to make it ok for the car. I appreciate the info on it!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Looks like a 9 3/4 here is a my car diff to compare, also depending on brand and year it could be a dana 44 in a light weight truck [attachment=0:1nzamvrq]road runner 315 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:1nzamvrq]

I'm really surprised you didn't clean that up a little bit better before you stuck that back under there...must have been preoccupied with the trunk mat... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Looks like a 9 3/4 here is a my car diff to compare, also depending on brand and year it could be a dana 44 in a light weight truck [attachment=0:3s6t13ms]road runner 315 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:3s6t13ms]

I'm really surprised you didn't clean that up a little bit better before you stuck that back under there...must have been preoccupied with the trunk mat... :lol:

Nobody looks under these old cars, besides its called patina and a protective film. Dambbit Ray its the first pic I came accross :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Looks like a 9 3/4 here is a my car diff to compare, also depending on brand and year it could be a dana 44 in a light weight truck [attachment=0:2d4ouije]road runner 315 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2d4ouije]

Nobody looks under these old cars, besides its called patina and a protective film. Dambbit Ray its the first pic I came accross :lol:

Go ahead, say it, you're glad I'm back... :wave:

:banana: :jester: :banana:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

:banana: :jester: :banana:[/quote]
OH we missed you :jester:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

OH we missed you :jester:[/quote]

he was gone....where did he go!! :worship: :worship:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:

he was gone....where did he go!! :worship: :worship:[/quote]

I was just out of pocket for a few days George while I attending the show at Carlisle...we camped at the fairgrounds so I didn't have internet access - other than my crackberry which is virtually useless for posting on a site like this - just more trouble than it's worth... That's all...

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I was just out of pocket for a few days George while I attending the show at Carlisle...we camped at the fairgrounds so I didn't have internet access - other than my crackberry which is virtually useless for posting on a site like this - just more trouble than it's worth... That's all...

:blah: :blah: :blah: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Just can't leave it alone. Rub it in a little more, why don't ya....... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:

he was gone....where did he go!! :worship: :worship:

:jester:[/quote]Did I hear you right, did you say we're not worth the trouble?
:toetap:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Did I hear you right, did you say we're not worth the trouble?

Now that is not what I meant at all... That was a complaint about the size of the screen on a crackberry more than anything...that and I can't figure out how to use the smilies when I'm on the crackberry...and YOU KNOW I like the smilies... :D

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:

Now that is not what I meant at all... That was a complaint about the size of the screen on a crackberry more than anything...that and I can't figure out how to use the smilies when I'm on the crackberry...and YOU KNOW I like the smilies... :D

oh and we know your the smiles king :jester: :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:

Oh, Ok........

Back