• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Swap

BBillyC

Reaction score
What would be best. If I took out my 8-3/4 and wanted to put in a Dana. Instead of buying new which would be the best vehicle to seek out at a salvage yard to pull a Dana out of and set it up for the RR. Probably a truck of some kind??

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Probably a truck is all you'll find that rear in recently, but I would weigh out the numbers first. Chances are whatever rear you find you'll have to refurbished with new gears, bearings, brakes. I'm sure there will be some welding work invoved with spring perches, shock mounts and axle tubes. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be than just buying a turn key unit either new or used. I think George had a Dana 60 for sale, check the for sale forum.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Probably a truck is all you'll find that rear in recently, but I would weigh out the numbers first. Chances are whatever rear you find you'll have to refurbished with new gears, bearings, brakes. I'm sure there will be some welding work invoved with spring perches, shock mounts and axle tubes. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be than just buying a turn key unit either new or used. I think George had a Dana 60 for sale, check the for sale forum.
no George has a 8 3/4 housing for sale

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
no George has a 8 3/4 housing for sale
Sorry,
My reading comprehension lacks. :D I realize now it's just the gears you're getting rid of.

moparchris

Reaction score
Any truck that has the Dana in it would be fine. They have "60" cast into one of the webs. You will have to gut the housing and throw away everything. New axles, perches, carrier, gears, and housing ends cut to the length you desire. I have done a couple of them, but one thing to remember is that they dont have a provision for the pinion snubber. If you go with Cal-Tracs you wont need a snubber. Overall not much cheaper than buying a new rear that has the provision. :cents:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Great info guys. I have the standard 8-3/4 with 4:10 gear set now but am going to narrow it by 3" per side. All I really need to do is get new axles but they're around $600.00, so hence my question?

droptop

Reaction score
How much HP are you producing? The 8 3/4 will hold well over 450 HP with out any problems.

moparchris

Reaction score
I sold my 69 Dart Race car to a friend with a 750hp 440 (572 stroker) in it and the 8 3/4 held up for many years after that. It finally did die but only after 3 or 4 years of wheels up racing with no maintenance.

Back