• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Package Deck (Speaker Deck)

Reaction score
Hi All, does anyone know if the package tray, (the rear speaker deck) on a 69 Road Runner welded in or bolted in? I just discovered that the genius who owned the car before me butchered the speaker openings with snips or something and put the speakers in from the top. The speakers were too big so he totally destroyed them. The whole deck will have to be replaced. Thanks in advance for any knowledge and feedback.

20210605_111140.jpg

20210605_110908.jpg

20210605_111133.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It is welded in. You could cut those out and weld in patches from a doner deck or flat metal and cut to size depending on how original you want it. Nothing easy.

Reaction score
Thank you,

69hemibeep I figured as much. I thought about the cutting the sections out but there are no donor cars in my area. I might have to put some feelers out there.​

quikbird

Reaction score
looks like holes are still too small. wouldnt take much to pull the speakers and with small cut off wheel resize holes to actually fit and dont need to weld anything.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with speakers in another car a few years back. I ended up making a spacer that sat on the parcel shelf, so the cone of the speaker sits slightly raised, and a smaller section of the cone then sits in line with the tray. The rim of the speaker will usually have tabs (or a complete ring if its a $$$ speaker) that I used to fix the speaker to the spacer.
I also did not want to hack the shelf on that car, so I then siliconed the Spacer - with speaker attached - to the shelf. The silicone helped stop the rattle from the speaker, and was easy enough to remove without too much heartache.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mounted my speaker's under the package tray. The new package tray board has holes cut in it for sound to come through. I get plenty of sound through it.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Good work Andy. Don't know why people cut them up. Mine on the on side was smaller but had two set of holes. Think that is where they mounted the defroster. But put 6X9 their and the second set of holes worked just fine.

Back