• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear rebuild

Big Mo

Reaction score
OOPS- sorry guys. Posted new thread wrong place,{under questions for site} I am getting ready to rebuild the rear from my 68 runner. It is a 489 with sure grip. Had no noise or any problems when I had it on the road before tearing it out. Thank you from Big Mo.

Big Mo

Reaction score
I would like to post new thread on correct sight. I have the rear out of car. Have a leak at axle seal. I need to at least replace seals. Do you recommend new bearings? I am going to rebuild the brakes. I never pulled a center section to replace gasket. Will this change any tolerances?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can pull the center section with out a problem they are kinda self contained. If you pull the axles and center you can knock the old seals out with a long pipe or bar from the opposite sides. If the bearings are not pitted or discolored from heat they should be ok.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hope it soon warms up so I can get back to work in my shop.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I just did one and washed the bearings out with mineral spirits and compressed air. I located the bearings over pans to catch the run off.
Like he said I looked at them and not seeing any problems I repacked them with Mobile synthetic red grease (Autozone) by hand. Saved some money like that.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Did you detail the rear? I am going to detail the rear top to bottom. how did you clean the housing?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Did you detail the rear? I am going to detail the rear top to bottom. how did you clean the housing?

You know, I really can't remember how I cleaned the housing. I don't like pressure washing this kind of thing because I'm afraid of water intrusion. Of course I cleaned it before I took it apart.
I probably used oven cleaner and scrapped the gunk off of it and rinsed it with a garden hose. It was really bad with oil and red clay.

IMG_20121229_153457 (Medium).jpg

Back