• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Springs

zupanj

Reaction score
I just got some new hemi rear springs for my Roadrunner to replace the old ones. It looks like a straightforward job on the surface. Is there anything I should know thats tricky before I begin?

mcmopar

Reaction score
You should inspect your shackles and front bushings to make sure they are in good shape. I got new shackles from Mancini with new front poly bushings as well. Make sure if you use the polyurethane bushings that you LIBERALLY grease them with the supplied silicon grease to prevent squeeks. Other than that its a pretty straightforward process.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You may need longer U-bolts, if not hopefully yours will come off in one piece. :popcorn:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
You may need longer U-bolts, if not hopefully yours will come off in one piece. :popcorn:
i was going to say the same thing.....squareheads think alike :cheers:
Its us Norwegians :yesnod:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Agreed. If the old springs were 383 models longer units should be purchased. Even if the old ones were long enough new ones would be ideal in any case.

zupanj

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I got an installation kit that included new shackles, new bolts and new U-bolts so I should be good there. Sounds like it's just a matter of taking it apart and putting it back together, good.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I just torch the old u bolts off. the IH dealer I worked at makes them. a lot less hassel than trying to get those old ones off.

zupanj

Reaction score
Got the springs in today and it wasn't too bad. I had to do it on the ground with jackstands because I couldn't get jackstands under the frame rails with the car on the lift. The only issue is the front spring bolt. It is supposed to be torqued to 125 lb/ft with the car on the ground. I could only get one ratchet click on the torque wrench and anyway I don't think I can pull a wrench that hard lying on my back with my arms extended any more. I could have twenty or thirty years ago but not now. I will take it to a shop tomorrow to get bolts torqued there but it will be on a rack. I wonder why they say to have the car on the ground when those bolts are torqued. I can sure understand you don't want those bolts to go anywhere. What a vision that brings to my mind!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
neither can I, that's why I use a cheater pipe.

zupanj

Reaction score
Couldn't find mine. That's why I am trying to clean out the garage. Anyway I only had the clearance from the floor to the floor pan so I am not sure my pipe would have worked anyway.

Back