• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Tire Pressures ?

Vermont Rocket

Reaction score
1970 Roadrunner. 225/15 & 275/15 BF Goodrich radials. What are recommended tire pressures for normal street use. Thanks, Vermont Rocket

A12

Reaction score
Doesn't it say right on the side of the tire?

no, it only states maximum tire inflation pressure on the sidewall of tires.

I usually run 32-34 psi in my 225/60-15 and 255/60-15 BFG T/A's on the '69 GTX. Most of the time 34 psi at all four corners.

I think the door or glove box (FMVSS DOT) mandatory tire pressure label shows 26-28 psi for the original bias ply tires so there is no way I would go below that or anything higher than 36 psi on radials.

Vermont Rocket

Reaction score
Markings on the side of tires only identify maximum pressure, not the pressure for a particular vehicle. Many are marked as high as 42 psi and not a pressure I would want to use. Still looking for actual recommendations for radial tires.

A12

Reaction score
and to go way off topic did you know that you can weigh your car by contact patch and tire pressure..................:popcorn:

Last edited:

Vermont Rocket

Reaction score
A12: Thanks for the info. That Plymouth installed bias tires that were usually set at lower pressures, kinda left me up in the air. (pun ? ) I feel pretty comfortable with your 32-34 psi.
I just picked-up this 70 and have a lot to learn. My last Roadrunner experience was with a 68 back in about 1972. A lot has changed and for the better. We now have more stuff available for these cars then when they were new. I registered for Carlisle & plan to collect all the info. I can. Rocket

Ranger

Reaction score
I run mine at 32.
32 becomes 34-35 after a few miles on a hot highway.

Back