• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registering a '69 in California

Dan Kiewicz

Reaction score
Anyone have any lessons learned trying to register their ride in Cali? I'll be doing that in the next 2 weeks and would like to have info or know what issues I may anticipate having.

Thanks!!!

Dan ...

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
My wife work's for the tax collector in Fla. which is part of dot. All I can say is have all you paper work ready. A call to them ahead of showing up might save you some time in line. Good luck Russ. :thumbsup2:

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
Purchased my Road Runner from a guy in Kansas. All I needed was the properly filled out and signed and dated title and bill-of-sale. The seller downloaded the required documentation from the DMV and followed the instruction when filling out his portion. I then took the car and documentations to the local Triple- A (AAA) location and the whole process took about fifteen minutes, which included verifying the vin number on the title with the vin on the car. Be prepared to pay the sales tax which will be based on the bill of sale and if an amount is listed on the selling part of the title and registration part to register the car in California. The registration fee will also reflect the sales prices. I paid $30,000, and that is what the seller wrote on the title along with the date of sale, so the sales tax and registration fees were based on that amount... not cheap!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
So they charge sales tax on a private sale in Cali. Silly me why would I be surprised :rofl:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
We have to pay 7% sales tax in Indiana on any vehicle bought.
Same in Ct which is at 6.35%. But on the classic cars CT bases it on one of the car value books, not sure which one they use. When I registered one of my cars I paid 12k for it but the seller wrote 6k on the bill of sale. They did charge me that when I registered it but a few weeks later I got a letter from the DMV that doubled the sales tax and I had to pay the difference.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise meat all... I bought mine at an auction and taxes were collected at the time I paid for her. When I went to get it registered and a tag, they told me I had to pay taxes as this was an out if state purchase. They only saw the auctioneer’s home address was from out of state and didn’t look at the paperwork very well. I explained to them I bought it at the auction that was at the civic center and advertised all over local media. They argued that I’d have to take it up with the auctioneer and get a refund from them “if” I indeed already paid the taxes. This did not sit well since I had the paperwork with me that proved the taxes had already been collected and went head to head. Finally who ever was in charge cane out, said they knew the action I was talking about, pointed out THE SAME THING I HAD BEEN ON MY PAPERWORK and to process everything. The same person I started out with then told me that I paid too much in taxes anyways.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I guess we are fortunate, the only time you get taxed is if a dealership or auction sells the used car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
So what if Harold buys and license a car in AZ at my address and then says he moved to Indiana ?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I'm wondering what happens if I show up in California with only my out of state registration since my previous home state doesn't require 86 and older to be titled.
Trust me I'm an "expert" on title law now in my home state. They are doing it wrong.
But it's the government.
And I have moved to another state that titles all cars before with only my home state registration.
It was no problem there.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
In AZ it would have to be inspected, they would look for body and chassis numbers to make sure it's not stolen, then issue a title.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Nothing above surprises me.... when I went to change the antique vehicle tag to a vintage 1969 Alabama license plate, I had to show them which tag it was in their log book to verify it was correct. Just makes you shake your head as they’re the ones “in charge”.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just tell them it is a salvaged and part's car. See what they say then. Never put down what you paid for it. Pay the seller cash and get him or her to say they sold it for about 500 or a thou. Fla has gotten worst over the year's these DMV people have gone crazy with power and want every dime the state can get out of you. So Back to my cold beer. :kartman:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Round here we get hit with a 3% on any purchase, dealer or used. Its only payable at the time of transfer of ownership at the RTA (DMV) and it is calculated on sale price, or market value, whichever is higher. new cars that sell for more han $75 000 are considered "luxury vehicles" and any amount that it sells for above that threshold is taxed at 33%.
That being said, Ive never had anyone question the "$1000" i paid for any car ever. Seller always writes the amount on the registration paperwork, which you need as an official proof of sale, especially if youre buying a car that hasnt been registered in years.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
About ten years ago, I registered an out of state Chevy 2 in CA. It was a real pain. Tried to register as a gift, Four trips to DMV as the information the requested kept dribbling in. With the RR i have now, I got a non-op and it was strait forward. They told me when I'm ready to register, just bring in the paper work they gave me back, along with the car for a "Safety Inspection". I traded it for the Chevy that was dialed in. (My wife still say's I got snookered) Not sure if they'll go for what I paid or what they think it's worth.
We'll see.

Dan Kiewicz

Reaction score
In AZ it would have to be inspected, they would look for body and chassis numbers to make sure it's not stolen, then issue a title.
That's what they want me to do. DMV said no door tag, they can't do it, it has to be done by the CHP. Go figure. Less than 12 months and counting. Arizona here we come!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
They do tend to be a real pain in the butt. At least in Fla. antique. Cars don't have as much problems with all the paper work. Or collectable cars at least 20 year's old.

Back