• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing front buckets from 1970

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
I've got to remove front buckets to get reupholstered and am wondering if there is a way to remove just the seat, while leaving rails in place.
I see that by removing 2 bolts (under car), each rail should come out, so I can do that. But wondering if there is some way to override the slide stop so I can slide all the way forward and remove. Those bolts under car are rusted all to hell and may need some magic to get off. Not sure.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
one part vinegar and three part's water. I would wet some rags and use plastic to put over the rag's against them. Wet the bolt down from the top also. May take a day or so but will loosen the rust up and wont hurt any thing. After getting them out flush with clean water. A frien:thumbsup2:d had a brake cable that was frozen up put it into a drum of that I had for cleaning part's off the runner. Took two week's but it freed up then flushed with JB blaster. The cable was 100 for a new one. My pivot arm's for the runner where so rusted up they would not move. Did the same thing with them. One took about a week the other took three week's. Now the work grate. Wish ya luck. These cars are a challenge.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Turns out I got under the car and wrenched those nuts off no problem. There are 2 nuts on each seat rail thing. Just loosening them made the seat assembly loose, so I'm all set. Definitely will try the vinegar water idea next time I've got a frozen bolt. That is really cool.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It won't hurt paint. But make sure you clean it off good on bare metal then prime it. It will revert the rust. Use stainless steel wool or wire brush. You don't want to use a steel wire brush or steel wool. I used it on part's of the car and it turns it black.

Jim Edwards

Reaction score
I've got to remove front buckets to get reupholstered and am wondering if there is a way to remove just the seat, while leaving rails in place.
I see that by removing 2 bolts (under car), each rail should come out, so I can do that. But wondering if there is some way to override the slide stop so I can slide all the way forward and remove. Those bolts under car are rusted all to hell and may need some magic to get off. Not sure.
I need headrest for roadrunner bucket seats help me

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Classic Industries got 'em obviously but WOW are they expensive at $379 a set. Luckily I have the tall backs without head rests.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need headrest for roadrunner bucket seats help me
Post a detailed wanted ad in the Road Runner Parts Wanted section of this site. That will probably be more effective than randomly posting in threads about seats like you are trying now...

Back