• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace Distributor

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I have a 68' 383, Car is running OK, I don't have as much get up as I'd expect.
I'm working on a new carburetor, I have an edelbrock 650 and my brother is sending me a Holly.
It has been mentioned a couple of times that my distributor looks like I got it from swap meet (previous owner).
As this is my first nuts and bolt rebuild and I'm not a mechanic, most of my limited knowledge is from these pages or
the manuals, I could use some recommendations on a replacement or your thoughts.

20230708_100940.jpg

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
If you are happy with the way it runs just take it out and clean it up. Of course, remember where it is clocked and the firing order. Get a new cap and wire brush the outter housing, put a few drops of oil in the center shaft and you should be fine. I like to restore parts rather than replace them but Mancini and 440 Source have good ones. You could also step up to an MSD setup too. Your call.

V.R.D

Reaction score
I have a 68' 383, Car is running OK, I don't have as much get up as I'd expect.
I'm working on a new carburetor, I have an edelbrock 650 and my brother is sending me a Holly.
It has been mentioned a couple of times that my distributor looks like I got it from swap meet (previous owner).
As this is my first nuts and bolt rebuild and I'm not a mechanic, most of my limited knowledge is from these pages or
the manuals, I could use some recommendations on a replacement or your thoughts.

View attachment 37969
you need a timing light . to set timing you would set the idle to 2500 set timing to 34 then bring rpm up to 3000 see if it advanced any more if it stays at 34 then tighten the dist' bolt and drive it.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
you need a timing light . to set timing you would set the idle to 2500 set timing to 34 then bring rpm up to 3000 see if it advanced any more if it stays at 34 then tighten the dist' bolt and drive it.
I have a stock-style damper and timing cover. Do I just estimate where 34 is?

halifaxhops

Reaction score
If you use a advance style timing light use a digital one the old dial back ones are usually off and will screw you up.

Back