• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replace or not to reolace wire harness

Big Mo

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been a long time. Reading the posts on wiring replacement seems like you do not replace wiring/harness's with after market kits. I have all my wiring out of my 68 bird. I do not see where wires are broken but I did have a terminal fall off. Is this an issue I need to address? I looked at a wiring kit from American Auto Wire (ouch $$$) also worried about fitting to car. Thanks BIG JOHN for the idea of putting the dash on a stand. Any help from you guys will be appreciated, thanks Big Mo.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If yours is shot then Year one has the most correct harness's out there and yes ouch. If the wiring isn't brittle and most of the ends are good repair it. someone on here had a source for the plugs and connectors.

Bill Monk

Reaction score
If you already have it all apart and there is any doubt then I would definitely replace if it were me. It'sa way too much work to go back later. I agree with 69hemibeep on year one. They have by far the most accurate harnesses I've seen. Good Luck!

quikbird

Reaction score
these harnesses were a mess when they were original and have not improved with age. they had the whole car on 6 fuses. a modern fuse block and more circuits is much safer than the original. that bulkhead connector now is a fire waiting to happen.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It really depends on the condition of the wiring. If it's just one terminal and the insulation still looks good, there's nothing wrong with using what's there. If it's shot, you'll be money and time ahead to replace it. As was mentioned, Year One has a good harness that will be "plug and play" since it's correct for the car.

Personally, I've repaired harnesses with good results. You want to use good replacement wire and the electrical tape that has no adhesive to wrap it, just like the factory did it. I also use De-Oxit for the terminals, especially on the terminals on the bulkhead connector. I don't smear dielectric grease on the connectors because it's counterproductive. You can use it on the outside of the plastic insulators, as it is intended for that use. I get all sorts of flack for that opinion because it's based on fact rather than what some dipshit said on Moparts. Google the word "dielectric".

A very worthwhile mod is the so called "MAD" wiring mod. Basically, you run a wire, with a fusible link, from the alternator to the stud on the starter relay. http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml This will bypass the heavy current running through the bulkhead connector. I've never had to do the other mod where they drill the connector out. It's not a bad change at all. I just don't see it as necessary, especially after doing the wiring mod. The amount of current flowing through the connector is cut down dramatically at that point. Where this becomes a problem is later cars with heavy electrical loads.

I'm not a fan of using aftermarket "universal" type harnesses. I've never seen one done right in anything but a street rod.

I redid the entire harness in my 53 Windsor.

2012_0822Stuff0006.jpg

I used a piece of scrap plywood and some finishing nails to contain the old harness. This is the way they make wiring harnesses in the aerospace industry, so it's good enough for my old Chrysler. I replaced the wires one at a time.

2012_1204Stuff0003.jpg

IMG_0752-1.jpg

bjersauto

Reaction score
I just got done rewiring my car I used a after market 18 circuit box but it is chevy based it was a pain in the ass to make work with all my switches butt got it done everything works butt park on wipers and I will get it to work. Harness was 200 bucks and two weeks of my time don't think I would do it again. Steve

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I want to clarify my comments about the MAD wiring mod in case there's any confusion.

If you add the wiring mod for the alternator to starter relay, you are eliminating a lot of the current passing through the bulkhead connection.

Because of that and you don't have the amount of current draw through that connection that you might in other cars, I don't see as it's a necessary to drill the bulkhead connector out and run a wire through it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just not needed in a Roadrunner.

If you had a 77 New Yorker Brougham, with A/C, power seats etc., yes, that mod would be a very good idea.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Replace it !! The more you have to handle it the more of a chance of the connectors coming off !!

dmartin

Reaction score
Me personally I would not put something old in my car like fourty something year old wires cause you could miss something and be one of those guys sitting on the side of the road watching the fire department put your bird out me I would rather be safe than sorry the year one wire harnass is expensive but worth it man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back