• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replaced radiator again.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So, to say had to work really hard to get the A/C compressor moved back towards the motor to give me clearance enough. So, I could move the fan away from the radiator. After days of cutting on the A/C mounting bracket was able to get it moved back 3/4 inch. What a job it was the compressor wanted to tilt down in the front and pulleys where not lining up. Had to pull it back off and cut one of the mounting tabs again. Put it back on and still the same results. Took it back off and heated that tab with a torch bent it a little with my big crescent wrench. After many days of frustration of things not wanting to line up finely success. Was able to use my old 1 1/2-inch fan spacer. Have now over 1 1/4-inch clearance between bottom of radiator and the fan. Did get the derail 18-inch six blade fan. The blades on it where not bent on the ends towards the radiator like that other fan I had on the car. Put a trash filter in the return hose suggested by my buddies. Now when putting everything back together and tried to start the car had no power. Cleaned my bulkhead connector. But still no power. Got under dash and checked everything under there. After moving wires on the back of the dash cluster power was restored. Loose connection, I guess. LOL. Had to get a shroud off line and is an original one from a salvage yard and it cleaned up with purple cleaner. The fan now sits out of the shroud like it should.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
So, to say had to work really hard to get the A/C compressor moved back towards the motor to give me clearance enough. So, I could move the fan away from the radiator. After days of cutting on the A/C mounting bracket was able to get it moved back 3/4 inch. What a job it was the compressor wanted to tilt down in the front and pulleys where not lining up. Had to pull it back off and cut one of the mounting tabs again. Put it back on and still the same results. Took it back off and heated that tab with a torch bent it a little with my big crescent wrench. After many days of frustration of things not wanting to line up finely success. Was able to use my old 1 1/2-inch fan spacer. Have now over 1 1/4-inch clearance between bottom of radiator and the fan. Did get the derail 18-inch six blade fan. The blades on it where not bent on the ends towards the radiator like that other fan I had on the car. Put a trash filter in the return hose suggested by my buddies. Now when putting everything back together and tried to start the car had no power. Cleaned my bulkhead connector. But still no power. Got under dash and checked everything under there. After moving wires on the back of the dash cluster power was restored. Loose connection, I guess. LOL. Had to get a shroud off line and is an original one from a salvage yard and it cleaned up with purple cleaner. The fan now sits out of the shroud like it should.
Whew what a job Russ. Way to hang in there and not let it beat you!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. Just because we finish these cars does not mean we are done working on them. LOL. Next is to get the 489 pig ready to go in the car and ditch the open diff. That is going to be a challange also.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Russ you will need to come to my shop and we will swap in 2 hr.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have driven the car the past two days and everything seems to be working fine. Noticed my flasher lights are not working now so what the heck. Going to order a new relay and hope it fixes it. The thing about the radiator is they sent me a 13 Lb. radiator cap. Was Loesing water out of the system. Popped down to Napa and go a 16 Lb cap all is good now. Have installed a water filter on the return hose on the radiator and see some trash all ready. So, it is doing its job.

V.R.D

Reaction score
about 3 as when i buy trucks for the fleet i have been to Matthew Curry ford

Back