• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing heater core

72plymouth

Reaction score
Never replaced a heater core before..... mines leaking alittle but don't want to put any stop leak in it......would rather do it the right way! Any help would be much appricated!!! this is on my 72 plymouth RR

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
Make sure you order the right replacement. A/C vs non-A/C. Remove the lower section of the dash. The heater box should be visible. Remove it and get to the heater core. You could temporarily bypass the heater core in the engine compartment to help minimize any interior leaks.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Take the seat out. It will make it much easier for you and your shoulders.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
suck up.......
is it an ac car? if so, check the rubber drain on the firewall in the engine bay. had one plugged up once, and it cause water to leak inside the car

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
suck up.......

There is no sucking up going on here... Hell, he no longer even owns this site. You're just being pissy because I've never used "wise" and "basketcase" in the same sentence... :basketcase:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you been talking to my wife again.......and shouldn't you be out in your little climate controlled playroom getting that blue rat rod put together so you can sell it to Ass Monkey....

72plymouth

Reaction score
ok this car did have A/C but its no longer their! Will that still make it hard? Take out the seat??? OK more room! Gotcha!!

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
ok this car did have A/C but its no longer their! Will that still make it hard? Take out the seat??? OK more room! Gotcha!!

It makes a difference in the heater core you order as they are different. You would want the one for an A/C car... Especially, if you plan to possibly add A/C back at some point.

With A/C

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-road-runner/parts/3441180.html

Without A/C

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-road-runner/parts/3579171.html

droptop

Reaction score
Mac would be the one to answer this question but I believe the air boxes are different for a/c cars. I don't believe the non a/c core will fit in the a/c box. Send a pm to Mac. He will know.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you been talking to my wife again...
I have her on speed dial so I can let her know when you're misbehaving...

...and shouldn't you be out in your little climate controlled playroom getting that blue rat rod put together so you can sell it to Ass Monkey....
WTF climate control are your talking about...? You know all I have is a bunch of fans...:toetap:
It's not blue. It's turquoise. And it ain't a rat rod either. :stuckup:
Just finished putting the nose back on it last night. Gonna try to get some miles on it this weekend and get the rings seated. Taking it up to Moultrie, GA for the swap meet in two weeks. Hopefully someone will throw some dead presidents at me and then I can start taking the RR apart for her turn in paint jail. Wish me luck. :cheers:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
she just figure's I'm misbehaving all the time....
and you can't play the fence on the color...blue is blue there Blue Boy..looks like Mike Brady Blue to me
bet you're not down to 5 degree's....although we ain't been dodging twisters...buncha snow headed this way after I'm at work tonight...weather goof says anywhere from 1-3 to 6-8"
wish you luck at the meet :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score
The heater boxes, the controls, and heaters cores are different for the A/C vs non-A/C cars. Look at the connections on the 2 heater cores I linked above. If you've got a car that previously had A/C, get the A/C heater core as it should go back in just as the original did.

Back