• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resto Mod...Worth it ??

stuka1166

Reaction score
IF you were to resto-mod an old MOPAR, what would be the best choice ??

I would imagine you wouldn't want to resto-mod a #'s matching example or would you ??

I know it's a highly contested issue...Personally, I see the good and bad in it.

I have a #'s matching 68' RR/383 and a friend mentioned a resto-mod...Just thinking.

Thoughts ??

Thanks !!

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I know C1 and C2 vettes resto-modded go for big bucks, but my Dad pointed out a funny thing about it, todays resto-mod in ten or twenty years maybe way obsolete to the point of having to be reupgraded again to pull big money because they will be a snapshot of the time they were built in. But either way the fun factor would still be the same I think.

A12

Reaction score
Just me but I would do a non-matching numbers '69 road runner before I did a less production numbers, matching numbers '68 road runner....but "your car" and do what makes you feel good. Most resto-mods can always go back to original with the same amount of work it took to mod them anyway, (but you have to keep the original parts but you knew that :))

A12

Reaction score
Just had a thought that is now possible with sheet metal like AMD offers. If you are thinking about modifying the original sheet metal like flaring the fenders or tubbing, etc. then I would remove the original sheet metal (at the original seams) and mod the AMD stuff and put the original metal away. Better to have untouched original sheet metal if you ever want to return it to stock.

quikbird

Reaction score
numbers matching un modified example- leave it alone. non matching and or messed with- do whatever you want.
you get to decide what you want. if you want to improve suspension etc, then sell the matching one, or just buy another that needs restored and have fun.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
resto mod as in "Day Two" mods? Even if it's a number's car, as long as you save the original parts, and only change parts that can be bolted on, I don't have a problem with it.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Mine is a resto mod, I started my adventure with building a 440 to 493 ci then went out and found a b body to put it in and got this awesome road runner. At that point the engine build turned into making a resto modded car but only as little as possible, I found several things missing, and a couple of things not correct, i.e. 68 bumper, replacement sheet metal in the passenger rear 14 panel wrong 383 junk yard or warranty unknown etc.

As it stands right now I consider my car a resto mod because of the motor swap, in the mean time I have tried very hard to replace the wrong things with the right things and replaced the missing with the factory correct at least as much as possible, I do have incorrect seats but I really like them lol from a 67 or 68 satty, similar dcor pattern as the rears seats which appear to be 68 lol (probably junk yard) but upholstery can be fixed.

Things I have modded -440 from 383

Cluster - went to white gauges and added clock

Full electronic ignition MSD no more ballast resistor or voltage regulator

Upgraded to disk brakes in the front - power booster, bendix (oem style)

6 bbl Hood with fiberglass air cleaner A12 style

droptop

Reaction score
Resto mod is a fad in my opinion. The best way to hold value and never go out of style is original.:cents:

Smokngun

Reaction score
Find a clean Belvedere to resto mod. Not nearly the value of an actual Roadrunner, but you can make it look just like one. My original plan was to find a Belvedere and "Clone" it into a Roadrunner but with a backhalf chassis, roll cage, a fast street/strip car, but make it look like a clean RR from the outside.

I'm not against modifying cars, but I'd leave a numbers matching musclecar of any make or model alone other than bolt on mods that can be easily reversed...but that's just me.

A12

Reaction score
[QUOTEResto mod is a fad in my opinion. The best way to hold value and never go out of style is original.][/QUOTE]

I guess you can look at "Resto Mod...Worth it ??" several ways; worth it as in increasing or decreasing the value of the car?, worth it as in the time and money it takes to mod it versus restoring to original? or worth it as in "fun factor" in driving and owning one? Can't answer any of those questions LOL.

But here's one locally that when the hood is closed and you don't look at the automatic floor shifter that was put in for the current tranny then you may get spanked if the car ever gets traction. I would have gone for some day-2 wheel and bigger foot prints on the rear :D

DSC09645a.jpg

DSC09645a.jpg

Last edited:

A12

Reaction score
With A/C, power discs, and power steering........just keep hood and mouth closed and keep 383 callouts on the scoops................:D:D just like back in the day

DSC09634a.jpg

DSC09634a.jpg

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Build it how you want it, use what ever parts you need to regardless of #'s matching or not, drive it like you stole, life's to damn short to worry about all that crap, who cares what others think, it's your car have fun, these are your glory days...

Unless your planning on resale in the very near future,
a quality built {key words} good resto-mod brings strong resale $$$'s,
as long as your not cutting the car up or getting rid of all the parts you can always go back to the OEM stuff too...

been there done that many times, 100% OEM & from "day 2", to full on racecars

resto-mod {new lexicon, same old thing} was called modifying or customizing to taste,
back in the 60's & 70's,
IMHFO I highly doubt it's just a fad,
there's those that will not like it & those that will love it... to each their own

my $0.02 cents

Last edited:
Back