• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration assistance '69 RR

fowens

Reaction score
I posted in here a while back as a new member and you guys were very supportive.

I literally have zero mechanical background and know-how. It's fairly easy to take things apart and I know the hard part will be putting it back together.

With not being sure where I should put this post, I thought the general discussion area may be best (if it should be moved, that's fine by me).

What I am hoping for, is if some of you can help walk me through, over time, on what I should do next with the disassemble. I fully plan on doing a bumper to bumper restoration with improvements as needed. I was hoping to do as much as possible on my own. I have people that tell me they're willing to help out. But, when it comes down to it...are scarce and suddenly busy.

Which is why I come to the group. I've seen how much you guys have helped one another, so I'm hoping you can assist. If you say I need to remove this or that next...great! I will look up how to remove that part either in this forum or somewhere online. I'd just like to get some assistance with what to do next as I am very much out of my element.

Thanks all.

Floyd

Some pics below to show where I am.
IMG_20140121_193034651.jpgIMG_20140121_165038684.jpgIMG_20131223_232254478 (1).jpg

IMG_20140121_193034651.jpg

IMG_20140121_165038684.jpg

IMG_20131223_232254478 (1).jpg

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Looks like you are well on your way just start taking one item off at a time now boxing it and all its parts in its own box then once stripped have the body blasted / stripped and start the body work and paint process. whole thats happening start restoring ach boxd up part one at a time. Good luck, you are a bit far from me in Spokane I would love to come up and help for some beers :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
get a box of baggies for the nuts,bolts,screw,toss in a label for what they are for. take before and after pictures. we have the factory service manuals for the '69s in our Tech section, these help. and ask all the questions you need!

fowens

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to tackle next? I know there's no real order to take it apart in. But, I want to set myself up for a best case scenario.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well just by looking at your pics, might as well take out the heater(couple three nuts on the firewall side,one bracket on the heater itself(don't forget the control cables and the wire for the blower motor).And pull the metal cover off the heater and check the squirrel cage for mouse nests. The wiper pivots are easy.(don't forget new seals for those). The wiring and the interior looks like it would be gutted.

quikbird

Reaction score
carefully examine all the parts you take off and see if they need replaced or can be reused. for example the bulkhead connector on the wiring tends to be in poor shape.
find the thread on bringing it back to factory spec. he has a lot of great pictures to help you out.

dobie

Reaction score
I know some will disagree, but I'll offer one piece of advice. I have about as much knowledge and experience as you. As in 0. I have fought wiring issues from day one. Ive always had someone "fix" the issue, but another issue pops up shortly afterwards. Looking back, I would've been much farther ahead by simply buying new wiring harnesses. Yes, they're quite expensive, however I seriously regret not spending that money up front.

Good luck with your project.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I know some will disagree, but I'll offer one piece of advice. I have about as much knowledge and experience as you. As in 0. I have fought wiring issues from day one. Ive always had someone "fix" the issue, but another issue pops up shortly afterwards. Looking back, I would've been much farther ahead by simply buying new wiring harnesses. Yes, they're quite expensive, however I seriously regret not spending that money up front.

If you follow dobies advise which has some merit go to Year one they have an exclusive on the best harness maker out there. Inspect yours if its brittle or cut up go new. Usually the bulk head connector is dirty and bad grounds cause most electric problems

peresvet24

Reaction score

well as useful information for me
one day I'll have to go through it.
but first I have to create one my moving to the States for some time to deal with housing and jobs and start looking for my runner to do a full restoration of self-

fowens

Reaction score
well just by looking at your pics, might as well take out the heater(couple three nuts on the firewall side,one bracket on the heater itself(don't forget the control cables and the wire for the blower motor).And pull the metal cover off the heater and check the squirrel cage for mouse nests. The wiper pivots are easy.(don't forget new seals for those). The wiring and the interior looks like it would be gutted.

I've been able to complete this now. I am having some trouble with removing the steering column. I know there's a pin that can be removed to get the column out. But, I'm having a hell of a time getting that pin out.

Suggestions? Is the pin I'm thinking of below?
pin.JPG

pin.JPG

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, that pin can be a pain. Use a proper roll pin punch of the correct size and a big hammer. Id soak it for a day or so in WD-40 or something similar. It helps to remove the battery tray as well as you can get more room to swing with it out of the way.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice the link at the bottom of your posts. Whatever happened to good old American Self Reliance???

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that went away with .99 gas,not having to press 1 for English, and an honest days work......

fowens

Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice the link at the bottom of your posts. Whatever happened to good old American Self Reliance???

It really was just a way for my family to pitch in as it was a car we all remembered growing up as kids. I have self-reliance, trust me.

Last edited:

cheflar

Reaction score
Hey Fowens, looks like you are and are basically in the same boat...we have about the same amount of knowledge and doing the same thing only i have a great friend with tons of experience restoring cars, welding, painting etc...but he is a FORD guy...so at times he "just isn't sure why MOPAR did things like that"! Good Luck

Back