• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right Hand Drive Hemi GTX!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
beautiful car...but shouldn't the master cyl be on the right side?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
That's what I thought when I saw my first right hand drive but I think they have linkage that runs under the dash. :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Basketcase said:
That's what I thought when I saw my first right hand drive but I think they have linkage that runs under the dash. :huh:

Exactly!

:jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I read an article some years ago about Mopars down under. When left-hand drive cars come into Australia it is mandated by the govt that they be converted to right hand drive. The company that was featured in the article re-does everything to make it work (firewall locations, suspension/steering, shifter linkage, pedals, dash - EVERYTHING). It isn't cheap, either.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same article, but I've got one, gotta be a 20 year old mag by now, the cost was around $20,000 :eek: be cheaper just to move here.

glhcarl

Reaction score
When I worked in Trinidad there was a real nice RHD 57 Plymouth 4 Door Hardtop in the airport parking lot. I went back to my office to get my camara but it was gone when I got back. I saw it a few more times over the years but it was always going the opposite direction.

I also have sales brochures for RHD PT Cruiser and the Chrysler Neon I picked up when I worked in the UK.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
nice looking gtx...driving it gotta be screwed up and shifting with the left hand wow.....big you going to buy it

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
We spent two weeks in Ireland with a rental car car, it took some getting use to and it was an automatic. I cant imagine a stick. :acme:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
We spent two weeks in Ireland with a rental car car, it took some getting use to and it was an automatic. I cant imagine a stick. :acme:

I started driving (legally...) over in Japan and drove tons of RHD manual trannies...you adapt pretty quickly actually...I went back and forth between LHD & RHD quite fluidly, but could never handle a stick left-handed quite as well as I could right-handed... Didn't matter, it was just an endless parade of four-bangers anyway... :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've known guys that worked in England once in a while and they said the hardest habit to break was getting in the wrong side (left) of the car.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I've known guys that worked in England once in a while and they said the hardest habit to break was getting in the wrong side (left) of the car.

Having never been one who was the least bit shy about laughing at myself I'll share a little story...

We returned back to the states in June of 1980. We ended the torturous air travel portion of our journey in Jackson, MS where my dad promptly bought my mom a new Monte Carlo. We then tooled around the state visiting relatives for a few days. When my dad finally handed over the keys for my initial foray onto our nation's Interstate System my very first act as a newly licensed U.S. driver was to immediately head up the off-ramp onto I-10 against oncoming traffic in Gulfport, MS... :eek:

I think the impressions that my mother's fingers made into the leather on the passenger side front bucket seat were still there when the car was sold several years later... :lol:

glhcarl

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I started driving (legally...) over in Japan and drove tons of RHD manual trannies...you adapt pretty quickly actually...I went back and forth between LHD & RHD quite fluidly, but could never handle a stick left-handed quite as well as I could right-handed... Didn't matter, it was just an endless parade of four-bangers anyway... :lol:

My first trip to the UK (1984) I rented a Vuxhall Nova GT, 1600cc/5 speed. I was on the M11 heading for Cambridge and happen to look at the speedometer and was doing over 90. It would really run.

However, just before I retired in 2002 I sold my Rover I had to rent a car. I got a Fiat Brava, to the Brits a midsized car (like a Stratus). It was uttely gutless, I would have to down shift to third gear to get up the slightest incline. When I got time to really look it over I found it had an 1100cc engine.

A12

Reaction score
My son and I went for a ride around Norwalk a few years ago in onebad's RHD Charger Daytona and check out the look on my son's face when he was directed around to the left side for his place to sit. I told him that he was going to drive and to "get in on this side" ah oh dad there's no steering wheel :jester:

A12

Reaction score
Now here is the real funny part of this "ride"......I'm in the back and the driver (DG) is smoking the tires every safe chance she gets and I tell my son to hold his arms and hands "like you're driving" and then we watch the looks on the faces of the people who's heads turn when the tires light up and see who they "think" is driving this Daytona and squealing the tires :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

A12

Reaction score
This would be perfect for my wife when we go on long trips.....or better yet I should move it to the back seat area..... :blah: (I just hope she doesn't read this :D :pot: )

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, what's the story with the RHD Daytona - was it overseas at one time? Real? Tribute?

Ray

Back