• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner History and Identification

68X426

Reaction score
Can anyone supply info about, or offer reference sources for, the following?

What is the date of the first Road Runner production vehicles to roll of the line?

Is there a record of quantity of the 1968 production, by both month and assembly plant?

Is it a different start date for each of the 3 assembly plants (Lynch, St. Louis, LA) or did they all start simultaneously?

On the fender tag what does the shipping order number signify? (the tag in question is a 1968 Road Runner, SO# 900505, what does 900505 mean?)

On the fender tag are the codes Y9 (special order) and 999 (special paint). Unfortunately, there is no broadcast sheet. Is there anyway to know the dealer for the Y9 (can’t locate previous owners) and anyway to know the original paint (besides the physical inspection)?

Thank you for any assistance, Dan.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Welcome to the board, I'm going to watch this one :popcorn: :D

Bob, you weanie, you know as much about this stuff as any of the rest of us...

Welcome Dan!

You're probably going to have a difficult time coming up with some of this info...I see you've posted the same question on every mopar site known to man... :lol:

44,598 RRs built in '68 by most accounts - never seen a breakdown as you've requested anywhere - not that it doesn't exist - I just haven't stumbled across it... Based on your member name I'll assume you're interested in the 426 cars...1,019 of them in '68 (only 826 in '69 Bob...but you already knew that... :D )

the 900505 is the Vehicle Order Number which was akin to the numbered request given to the plant to build the vehicle...this same number also appears in the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to a Motor Vehicle as it became part of the invoice number...)...and is not to be confused with the sequential build number which appears in your VIN...

Good luck on the Y9...and you've already answered your own question on the 999 paint code...

:cheers:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Welcome to the board, I'm going to watch this one :popcorn: :D

Bob, you weanie, you know as much about this stuff as any of the rest of us...

Welcome Dan!

You're probably going to have a difficult time coming up with some of this info...I see you've posted the same question on every mopar site known to man... :lol:

44,598 RRs built in '68 by most accounts - never seen a breakdown as you've requested anywhere - not that it doesn't exist - I just haven't stumbled across it... Based on your member name I'll assume you're interested in the 426 cars...1,019 of them in '68 (only 826 in '69 Bob...but you already knew that... :D )

the 900505 is the Vehicle Order Number which was akin to the numbered request given to the plant to build the vehicle...this same number also appears in the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to a Motor Vehicle as it became part of the invoice number...)...and is not to be confused with the sequential build number which appears in your VIN...

Good luck on the Y9...and you've already answered your own question on the 999 paint code...

:cheers:
ACME
You have more time than I do this week :D

68X426

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. This info is hard to come by, like being deep in the pharoh's pyramid trying to read the walls. I've contacted Govier but his response is to expect a one year wait. I'll keep digging. And I will post pics in the near future.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay Chris, I'm too dense to get the MJ connection to chasing RR production numbers...please enlighten me... :huh:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay Chris, I'm too dense to get the MJ connection to chasing RR production numbers...please enlighten me... :huh:

:jester:
That's his smilie popcorn eating guy.......... :lol:

Back