• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sender leaking

vso737

Reaction score
I learned a lot reading about the sender leaking gas on this site.
I'm experiencing the same issue. My sender is leaking quite a bit of gas with a full tank of gas. I drained approx 14 gallons today and overflowed my Kia Soul and still added gas to my Sportage and still have the 5 gallon gas full and ready to go back into the RR when finished.
MY QUESTION: Is it possible to place JACK STANDS just forward of the rear wheels so I can lower the rear axle to gain more room to work. Also, do I have to disconnect the shock absorbers so the rear axle will drop even more. I may have to remove the wheels so the axle can have more downward travel. I guess I will not know that until I get to work on it.

I have the rear of car on ramps at the moment. I also plan on incorporating the ramps somehow for extra safety. I don't really like being under the car without making sure there is plenty of safety involved.

I purchased the "maximeter" a few months ago and a new sending unit. Did not replace the sending unit because it was giving the same reading as the one in the car. They both registered 3/4 of a tank on a FULL tank. Now, with the leaking sender, I have no choice but to "getter done"..................

As usual, suggestions always welcomed and thank you in advance.
LG,
Mike

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Put my tank in with the rear end in the car with shock's in also. Drop your tarps and have a bottle jack under the tank with a board across it. Then let it down and you should be able to take the sending unit out do have to put the filler neck also. Good luck.

vso737

Reaction score
GREAT idea, did not consider lowering the gas tank. Wonder which would be easier, lowering the rear axle or the gas tank. I think I will lower the axle and see how much room that gives me to work. If I don't like it, I guess doing what you suggest is definitely a GOOD alternative. Lowering the tank is just a very small step from removing it all together. Sure would be a snatch to work on the sender having the gas tank on the floor. Would also give me an excuse to use my transmission jack again.

The previous owner put in a new gas tank. I noticed that the straps are bending the seam of the tank. There is NOTHING but bare metal strap against gas tank. Don't know if this is correct or there should be some sort of padding................

The last few times I drove the car, the gas gauge moved up the scale and even got to the FULL mark when I filled the tank, then all of a sudden the needle droped all the way past the below low mark. The gauge very seldon reached the full mark on a full tank, it usually goes as high as 3/4. Sure would be nice to have this fuel issue resolved. Looking forward to calibrating the new sender; installing some better grounds and installing the "Maximeter".

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Gas tank for sure. Bottle jack was my best friend plus a short two by four for support on the tank. Summit sending unit my buddy put one in and said it worked just like the old one. Get what you pay for I say. Their is a limiter adjuster they sell to set it right. But their is more money and time. Take care and be safe. Russ.

Ernie

Reaction score
Hunting here for the answer you want?
Jack up put stands on frame before leaf spring the diff will come down enough to get sender out.
Ramps the worst idea don’t be afraid only had one car fall on me in 56yrs

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That had to hurt. Better to be safe than sorry. A friend of mine came home and found his son crushed under the pick up truck his son was working on. Cement blocks are not a good thing. Use wood instead. Even heard of some jack stand's giving away. They are rated for only so much weight.

vso737

Reaction score
Done deal and could not have happened without the help from this website.
As I suspected, the sending unit was the culprit. It appears that the ground seal on the sending unit became brittle and part broke off causing it to leak pretty good.
Lowering the rear axle helped tremendously. The old gauge reads 53 ohms at full stop and 5.4 at the empty spot. The NEW unit reads 76.5 at the full stop and 10 at the empty mark.
When I parked the car, the gauge was all the way down after showing a FULL read immediately after filling the tank.
Started the car to see if I find any leaking overnight. So far, five hours later and NO leak. The gauge is still at the bottom mark. I will be doing some testing tomorrow to see if it is the gauge or bad wiring or just the fact I only put back five gallons of gas into the tank. Right now I'm ONLY worried about it NOT leaking.
I read a lot on the fact that the replacement lock rings are NOT as thick as the original. Well, the one I just installed is thicker than the one I took out.
Attached are some pictures of the before and after.
Thanks again for the helpful input-
LG,
Mike

5-P1130349.JPG

5-P1130350.JPG

5-P1130354.JPG

5-P1130355.JPG

5-P1130357.JPG

5-P1130360.JPG

5-P1130364.JPG

5-P1130370.JPG

5-P1130371.JPG