• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

she's rich

andy69

Reaction score
My 383 running so rich,spark plugs are black,not wet just black soot[i think thats what u call it] when hot its hard to start. Now i have changed the dizzy to pointless new coil/leads spark plugs carby is a 4bl edelbrock---car seams to run ok also auto choke, dizzy does not have vaccum.......any help ps- when car is hot the only way to start is to hold throttle way open....

moparchris

Reaction score
andy69 said:
My 383 running so rich,spark plugs are black,not wet just black soot[i think thats what u call it] when hot its hard to start. Now i have changed the dizzy to pointless new coil/leads spark plugs carby is a 4bl edelbrock---car seams to run ok also auto choke, dizzy does not have vaccum.......any help ps- when car is hot the only way to start is to hold throttle way open....

You have a massive leak inside the carb. I bet the one of the main jets has come loose or something. Time to rebuild the carb or chuck that POS Edelbrock for an original Carter or a Holley. :cents:

A31PKG

Reaction score
What's your vacuum reading at idle? Has the carb been messed with? Float levels too high?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depending on pump pressure you can blow right past the needle and seats on those also :yesnod:

andy69

Reaction score
SUGAR MAMMA ,MARRY ME WHERES THIS ALL GOING,Had the carb looked at seems springs were stuck among other things, throttle response heaps better .still hard to start.........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
andy69 said:
SUGAR MAMMA ,MARRY ME WHERES THIS ALL GOING

Nowhere. :basketcase:

When you have a conversation with your mates over a pint down at the pub, does the conversation always stay exactly on track? No one ever cracks a joke regardless of the topic at hand? I didn't think so...it's same around here... :D

Still hard to start always, or just when hot? :popcorn:

andy69

Reaction score
Now I understand......so its a bit all over the place, like a mad dogs shit...Anyway only when hot :devil: :devil:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
andy69 said:
Anyway only when hot

Might be heat soak and or vapor lock related. After you shut off the engine, its temp and everything on it (carb especially since it is solid mounted and there is direct heat transfer) rises. When this happens the fuel can boil in the carb bowl(s), fuel lines, and fuel filter. Then when you try to restart the engine there is little or no gas in the carb and vapor lock prevents the flow of fuel making the engine hard to start.

You can try a carb heat shield, a vapor separator (factory installed on hemi & 440-6 cars), or both. :cents:

A31PKG

Reaction score
An insulator will definitely help. What kind of manifold are you using? Just make sure you get one to fit the manifold opening(s) rather than the carb. For example, if the manifold carb opening is square, get a square insulator.... If it's an original cast iron unit, then get an insulator with corresponding barrel holes, etc. A quarter inch thick or so is a good choice. You can get them from Summit, Jegs, etc. Another thing you can do is install an in-line electric helper pump. That will also help with starting after the car's been sitting a while too. They can be had for about 50-75 bucks (don't know the conversion formula). Good luck with it!

:thumbsup:

andy69

Reaction score
my temp gauge also does not work,sorry gauge ok sender not working, I read somewhere that if sender not working, this can also make it hard to start when hot? .....any thoughts..

Back