• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter ball!

Smokngun

Reaction score
I'm bored with waiting for other people to do stuff on my car, so I'm posting a picture of my original shifter ball. It won't fit (different thread pitch) the Hurst shifter I have so I'll put a classic white ball on the car. This will sit in my curio cabinet with other "trophies" of motorsports.

20140916_215435.jpg20140916_215453.jpg

20140916_215435.jpg

20140916_215453.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
It doesn't fit because it is missing the jamb nut (searched but can't seem to find a picture of one). The jamb nut screws into the ball and the other end has the proper thread to fit the shifter. That's how you adjust it so the shift pattern is straight.

A12

Reaction score
Mike is it just the thread pitch on the shifter? Any way of changing the shifter's threads?

Smokngun

Reaction score
A12, Not without reducing the thread diameter. Both the ball and the shifter are 3/8" threads. But the ball is a fine (24tpi) and the shifter is coarse (16 or 18 tpi I think).

Ranger, you are correct on what the jamb nut is used for, and yes, it's missing. However, if the jamb nut threaded into the 3/8" x 24 ball, there would be no room for a 3/8" (coarse) thread to fit. The ball and the shifter have to be the same thread pitch. The shifter I have is NOT the original shifter in the car, so I assume this is the discrepancy.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The jam nut is the same thread as the ball, it jams against the bottom of the ball is all. You must have changed shifters.

Ranger

Reaction score
The shifter I have is NOT the original shifter in the car, so I assume this is the discrepancy.
Ahh, that splaines it. I assume the original ball is not a high priority?
Personally I like the white ones better. I am only keeping the original wood grain ball (I think) BECAUSE it is original.

A12

Reaction score
Need a ruling or opinion on the shifter ball that I think is the original one on my '69 GTX with over 96,000 miles (I get a new odometer in less that 4,000 miles per the agreement with Plymouth LOL). Do you guys think it's the original wood grain and it just wore out from years and miles of shifting. (oops photo later, sorry)

Last edited:

A12

Reaction score

Oops..Happy New Year and finally found the photos on this computer: (had to rotate the image because I realized that the shift pattern was upside down, can barely see it, it is really worn.)

DSC03168.jpgDSC03179.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03179.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
Hard to imagine that is original. The bottom seems to be worn as much as the top. If it was a worn out original I'd expect the top to be worn down, but not the bottom.

Good picture of the jamb nut.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
The jam nut is the same thread as the ball, it jams against the bottom of the ball is all. You must have changed shifters.

put your glasses on Bobby........The shifter I have is NOT the original shifter in the car, so I assume this is the discrepancy.

A12

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos of the condition of the car when I bought it and before I restored it. It had close to 90k and was pretty much original except for the battery, hoses, belts, maintenance items and even had four rock hard, bald, BF Goodrich radial T/A's on it that must have been from the '70' as it had an older T/A tread pattern. It was billed as an unmolested car with only one (titled) owner still with 1969 license plates. EVERYTHING was WORN even the steering wheel and driver's side armrest pad and window crank handle. Came from California and ended up in Texas. Still has and I left it there a decal that reads "Al's Automotive Norwalk, CA" and has a phone number with no area code.

69 GTX  002crp.jpg 69 GTX 001crp.jpg

69 GTX  002crp.jpg

69 GTX 001crp.jpg

Last edited:

A12

Reaction score
Here's the vent window decal that I had to put something behind it to take the photo. The car is an LA built car. I think I got it to being sold at a dealership Yeakel Plymouth in the LA area??? (if anyone knows anyone that knows how to contact anyone there it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.) Oh and I Google map searched the address for Al's and there's still an automotive service place at that location, 7.8 miles from where the Yeakel Plymouth dealership was back in 1969.....hmmmmmm I wonder if Al Jr. is running the place :biggrin-new:

DSC03083.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

Last edited:
Back