• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have the console 4spd shifter with the stab style handle. There seems to be alot of play in the stab. Has anyone ever replaced the insulator and did it tighten up the handle :huh:

zupanj

Reaction score
Good topic. I have the bayonet shifter too and really don't like all the travel and the slop. I have my car apart now and am considering putting in a Competition Plus while it's easy to do. Anyone made this change and is the modern Competition Plus as good as it used to be.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I didn't like the slop either,I got a rebuilt one from brewers and it was better but still sloppy,I also replaced my linkage with a good used set.I do remember my dad saying his 69 Charger 4sp console car had alot of slop in the shifter,probably normal with the design of the shifter.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Good topic. I have the bayonet shifter too and really don't like all the travel and the slop. I have my car apart now and am considering putting in a Competition Plus while it's easy to do. Anyone made this change and is the modern Competition Plus as good as it used to be.

Mine has the Competition Plus box and linkage...and I recently drilled a correct '69 stick to work with the CP unit... Cannot attest to the age of the unit as it was in the car when I bought it. But it seems like everything that happened to my car happened pretty early on in its life so I'd guess that it's an ancient version...but it does work nicely...

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
Same here, Ray. When I got my car back in 2000 I noticed a Comp Plus shifter in it when I took it apart. I believe someone drilled the shifter handle for this one, too. I cleaned it all up, put it back in and it shifts very smoothly.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I put new linkage into it and thats nice and tight its just the stab.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Yeah I think the comp. plus may be the way to go,I always wanted a pistol grip even though its not correct,when I finally rebuild the tranny I wanted to add one a repop hurst with the comp. plus shifter.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Yeah I think the comp. plus may be the way to go,I always wanted a pistol grip even though its not correct,when I finally rebuild the tranny I wanted to add one a repop hurst with the comp. plus shifter.
Anybody use a RamRod shifter......?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
jays69bird said:

Nope - but I've heard all the stuff that you typically hear about a V-Gate shifter; great going up through the gears - and it sucks when you try to down-shift it or find reverse...

But tell us Mr. Hoosier Ram Rod, why do you ask?

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Back in the day, my race car had an inline shifter anything like that?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":2bv04v2g]
jays69bird said:

Nope - but I've heard all the stuff that you typically hear about a V-Gate shifter; great going up through the gears - and it sucks when you try to down-shift it or find reverse...

But tell us Mr. Hoosier Ram Rod, why do you ask?

:jester:[/quote:2bv04v2g]
Well.........I have a Ramrod shifter but I wasn't sure if you would have to make the shifter hole larger. If so I won't be using that. The V-Gate takes a huge hole. The one that I have is for an E body. I'll let you know this week if it fit or not........ :thumbsup:

Back