• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifting problem.s

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I am finding that shifting sometimes is rough from first to second. When I first start to drive the car, it is rough getting it to go to second. After warming the car up on the road it does get better. But when the car gets really hot things come back to being tough to get second. I think it may be the shifter and not the transmission. The shifter is an old one and had to put new shift plates in it so it would work right. Got to look and see if they even make this shifter anymore. I am running what is prescribed for transmission oil in the manual. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Yes, A833 four speed. :(

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
OK_OK got to have some reason to bitch about my knee hurting. LOL. Have you got that runner done yet MIKE!!! Man Want to see you driving it. Take care and keep up the work on that car will be done soon. :thumbsup: :beep:

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have used Pennzoil Synchrome myself with good results. Also, Jamie Passion sells a good oil for A833 4-SPEEDS Have used both.

1968 man

Reaction score
Update on the 70 RR. Got the doors back on and working on the front end.
Here you go Russ, I promise to stay focused on the car. Lol.

C0A42138-7732-45A6-9BBB-13DDB98AA8DB.jpeg

AFBBB62D-0975-418E-931E-07D2294C7596.jpeg

BF30C766-9123-4C63-8796-225E06B52BDB.jpeg

4742169B-AF07-497B-B6BF-575815EEF54A.jpeg

6F0371AA-A8B3-491C-8E8B-1CF47785443E.jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Oh man that is looking like a winner. Coming along fine. You will be proud when driving that one. Keep up the good work and you will be wheeling down the road soon. :thumbsup2::beep:

cosgig

Reaction score
Not that this would make it much better, but the factory actually used auto trans fluid in the cars that were destined for colder climates, to smooth out the shifts. Racers from back in the day would also run ATF for ease of shifting. And as a matter of reference, when I opened the gearbox on my 70 6bb car, there was ATF in there. I asked the original owner if he had ever opened the trans, nope, never had to, so that ATF was original to the car.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Changed the fluid in the gear box this weekend. To the Pennzoil Synchromesh. It shifts a lot better now after driving around the area. Have not gotten into stop and go traffic yet and will see how that goes. Thanks, Ranger, for the info to that product. It does not get that cold here in Fla. Just too darn hot. Don't get me wrong it does get to freezing during the winter but not much below 28 degrees. No snow to deal with. LOL. Just going to drive the wheels off the runner. THANKS !!!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes Ranger. Still have to see how it acts once in heavy traffic and stop and go. Things get a lot hotter then. I believe it will be ok. So much more fun when you don't have to fight the gears. :thumbsup2:

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Having the same trouble. 1st to 2nd hangs up occasionally. Nothing different but the Pistol Grip shifter. I will try the Pennzoil. Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
2nd takes a beating if lighter oil helps your lucky. 2/3s of the A833"s I've rebuilt needed 2nd gear replaced

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Had to change my fluid weight to 65W-140. The lighter weight fluid was leaking out my back seal and front on the A833. Took it for a drive to see if the fluid change made a difference. A little stiff on shifting till the car warmed up. But after test driving the car and parking it for two hours went out to check for leaks and that is when found the radiator had been leaking. So now putting a new aluminum rad. in the car. Facing some issues with clearance. Radiator core too close to fan. Can't move the fan back too much due to my A/C compressor. Oh well one problem then another. Dose it ever end. LOL. :mad:

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Had to change my fluid weight to 65W-140. The lighter weight fluid was leaking out my back seal and front on the A833. Took it for a drive to see if the fluid change made a difference. A little stiff on shifting till the car warmed up. But after test driving the car and parking it for two hours went out to check for leaks and that is when found the radiator had been leaking. So now putting a new aluminum rad. in the car. Facing some issues with clearance. Radiator core too close to fan. Can't move the fan back too much due to my A/C compressor. Oh well one problem then another. Dose it ever end. LOL. :mad:
No. It never ends. It's always something, but that's the fun with this hobby. Right??

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I did like the fluid your recommended, but those seals started leaking. I appreciated the Help. Now it will be 4 weeks before I get the radiator.

Back