• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy all my new engine parts before machining?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I know I need to wait until a machinist tells me how much over I need to have my engine block bored before I can order up some new pistons. But aside from this, since I will likely ask the machine shop to assemble the block back for me, should I go ahead and get my new timing chain, water pump, cam, lifters, rockers, and all that mess so I can have the guy install all that? I've heard that some machine shops would rather condition the heads and install the valve train themselves in order to guarantee their work. That's fine with me, but that means I would need to go ahead and have most of these items, esp the ones associated with the valve train in order for them to install it all.

I'm sure I could do an engine assembly myself with a lot of sweating, but I'd rather leave the tedious things to someone who's done it before. So is it common to get the parts you need first so the machinist can install them? Or should I leave everything but piston and crank installation for me to do later?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
If you are going to buy from the machine shop then you won't have to worry about it. If it is a speed shop usually just drop it off and let them price everything. If he is too high then go buy the stuff yourself. He will even give you the part #s and any recomendations after talking with you.

dobie

Reaction score
My car goes into the shop next Friday. I've bought everything before hand, and will be dropping all sorts of stuff off to him. He's doing the head/valve work, but everything else I've decided before hand on what I want. He's just gonna do the tear down, reassembly, and break in. Oh, and run new exhaust pipes for the headers.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
If you are going to buy from the machine shop then you won't have to worry about it. If it is a speed shop usually just drop it off and let them price everything. If he is too high then go buy the stuff yourself. He will even give you the part #s and any recomendations after talking with you.

i agree....that sounds like the plan....thats what i would do and either he gets them or he can tell you what to buy and part numbers and sizes for pistons,rings,cam bearings,main bearings,rod bearings....etc

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The cam related stuff is fine to grab ahead of time. Let them get the pistons and rods, bearings, etc.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:

i agree....that sounds like the plan....thats what i would do and either he gets them or he can tell you what to buy and part numbers and sizes for pistons,rings,cam bearings,main bearings,rod bearings....etc

Often times the more parts you buy from the machine shop, the better deal you'll get on both parts and labor...it only stands to reason...a small mark up on a couple grand is more profit dollars through the door for him than a large mark up (or just straight labor) on just a few hundred...

Ray

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's what I did with mine. I just dropped off the $$, and the machinist took care of everything. and let let me pay for the parts first, then he let me take the engine so we could put it together, then pay for the machine work.

Hey Dobie, which engine are you doing? the 440 or your 383? and you goin'n for a total rebuild?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
So if I tell the machinist what I'm wanting to do with the car, they will order what ever kind of set up I need? I would hope they wouldn't just put crap stock replacement parts in there when I will be seeing some strip time.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
They want your return business. My machine shop has always taken care of me. Have him make you a list and post it on here. :thumbsup:

Back