Shoulder Belts

glhcarl

Reaction score
I have a low tech fix for a problem us non-convertable owners have with the shoulder belts: The elastic that keeps the belt in the stowed position stetches allowing the belt to flop around when the window is down and generally just get in the way. I was planning to replace the elastic, so I bought some elastic and a snap kit.

Then I saw a female half of a snap installed on the upper portion of the shoulder belt. Top Picture.

I then installed a male snap in the lower section of the belt that is held in place by the elastic, when snapped
together the belt is held tight without the elastic. No more belt flopping around. Bottom picture.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mine had the shoulder belt hardware but the belts were long gone so when I had the new headliner installed I just took the attaching hardware out and left it at that.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Mine had the shoulder belt hardware but the belts were long gone so when I had the new headliner installed I just took the attaching hardware out and left it at that.

No wonder I felt so "unsafe" when you took me for a ride... :lmao:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I thought about leaving mine out because the law says if you got em use them, and they are a PITA. I still have to replace the elastic.

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

weenie :acme:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

weenie :acme:

Probably had the airbag on my side turned off too...

:lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

weenie :acme:[/quote]

Probably had the airbag on my side turned off too...

:lol:[/quote]
I bet he wished he could turn the wind bag off too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I thought about leaving mine out because the law says if you got em use them, and they are a PITA. I still have to replace the elastic.
I took then out of my car too, because the latchs for them are missing. I guess they never were reinstalled when the carpet was changed by the PO.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
they are a PIA. My Charger had them. I was coming back from visiting my parents once, a 5 hour trip I was trying to make in 4...............One of Ohio's "Flying Tire" boys stopped me to tell me how much he admired my Charger......and proceded to inform me that I was required by law to wear the shoulder strap. I showed him how restricting it was. "Don't matter, if it's in the car, it has to be used" No problem, just the motivation I needed to install the new headliner, and leave the straps out.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
they are a PIA. My Charger had them. I was coming back from visiting my parents once, a 5 hour trip I was trying to make in 4...............One of Ohio's "Flying Tire" boys stopped me to tell me how much he admired my Charger......and proceded to inform me that I was required by law to wear the shoulder strap. I showed him how restricting it was. "Don't matter, if it's in the car, it has to be used" No problem, just the motivation I needed to install the new headliner, and leave the straps out.

"Flying Tire Boys"...never heard that term before... Is that ODOT or some other kind of LEO??? :huh:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not Leos...just one of Dobie's buddies....
this is a shoulder patch. the decals on the cruisers have a tire with the wings. All in all, I've never met a bad one. Got a lot of respect for them and what they do. One time I was on my way to work at a resturant. I had just picked up a '68 Charger that someone had done a half assed "Dukes" paint job on. I was in a hurry for no real reason(like most kids). I was passing a car and I hit some black ice. I ended up on an embankment. I called Dad, and he came up. in the meantime, a State Trooper showed up. Dad figured I was in big trouble. The Trooper got out of his cruiser, polishing his sun glasses. He walked over to Dad, put his glasses on, and said "well looks to me like engine failure, or you forgot to Yahoo!. Got back in the cruiser and took off. (I ened up on State property, so no problems.)

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's a great story! YAHOO!!! :thumbsup:

BTW - I'd think a State Trooper qualifies as a Law Enforcement Officer...

Back