• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single or dual point distributor for '69 383 rr w/4-speed?

A12

Reaction score
Single or Dual Point Distributor for a 1969 383 road runner with a 4-speed?

In '69 a friend of mine (who owned a '68 Hemi road runner at the time) was going to "tweak" my distributor on my new '69 383/Torqueflite road runner as we were doing a track tune on it. When he removed the distributor cap he was surprised to find it was a single point distributor!

I was surprised and disappointed too but thought I found out later that the 4-speed 383 road runner engine came with a dual point and the Torqueflites with a single point distributor? What's the story, single or dual point distributor on a '69 road runner with a 4-speed? THANKS.

MikeR

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Single or dual point distributor for '69 383 rr w/4-spee

I remember reading somewhere that only the '69 A-Body 383 cars got the dual point dizzies... :leave:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

Hey Mike here are the part #s if your interested, 69 383 4 barrel auto 2875731. 4spd 4 barrel 2875750 both single point

A12

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies.......I thought for sure the 4-speed had the dual-point......just shows you what age will do, and they say that memory is the.......the......the first thing to uh.....what the heck does it do......well maybe it's the second thing to.....oh never mind :facepalm:

Now I remember: memory sticks get filled up way to quickly and you have to delete old files and photos before you can take more.........naw that's not it, :crazy: :facepalm: :facepalm:

A31PKG

Reaction score

Ray's right....I am fairly certain that NO dual point distributor was ever factory installed in a 383 Road Runner/Super Bee....regardless of trans. That said, Direct Connection offered them (as did other vendors) and I'm sure many were installed at the dealership when the cars were new.

Just my :cents:

mcmopar

Reaction score

Single point distributors were standard on 383 4 bbls in 1969 but Chrysler snuck a dual point into a SuperBee for a Motor Trend comparison road test back in the day. MT researched the spec and found it was supposed to be a single point. That said, we've seen a lot of funny stuff on this forum that was not supposed to be "factory installed" equipment that nevertheless found its way into a car and onto a production sheet.

Roadcuda

Reaction score

mcmopar said:
Single point distributors were standard on 383 4 bbls in 1969 but Chrysler snuck a dual point into a SuperBee for a Motor Trend comparison road test back in the day. MT researched the spec and found it was supposed to be a single point. That said, we've seen a lot of funny stuff on this forum that was not supposed to be "factory installed" equipment that nevertheless found its way into a car and onto a production sheet.

For WIW, my "65 Formula "S" Commando engine is supposed to be a duel point dissy, but when I switched it over to an electronic system I found it was single point. So I wonder if it came from the factory or could it have been converted at some point in history to make tuneups easier. I know that the engine was rebuilt in the mid 90s so it may have been changed then. Just don't know.

Back