• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Size of freeze (core) plugs in head?

nmon

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been looking around and haven't found an answer yet. Would you happen to know the size of the freeze plugs that are on the heads? The car is a 69 runner with a 383. Even a Dorman part # would help. Any help is much appreciated.

since I'm new, here's a pic of her. Just got her
20120922_181642_zps0967f0f4.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
nmon said:
Hey guys,
I've been looking around and haven't found an answer yet. Would you happen to know the size of the freeze plugs that are on the heads? The car is a 69 runner with a 383. Even a Dorman part # would help. Any help is much appreciated.

since I'm new, here's a pic of her. Just got her
20120922_181642_zps0967f0f4.jpg
Dorman #555-024 and welcome to the site :party:

1969ronnie

Reaction score
hi, which core plugs? on the head ends or between exhaust ports? different size plugs...... :drive:

nmon

Reaction score
Ya I just found out today. Got my hands dirty. 1" for the ends and 1 1/4 for the exhaust side. Stubborn little buggers

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome from Ohio! nice looking runner. Please pop up to the intro, and give us all the detail about you and yours!

nmon

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. Well I got all the freeze plugs in the head changed and then found out the block plugs were rotted out. When I was under the car it looked like there were only one on each side. Is that correct?

Pretty sure she was someones weekend warrior before. She had old school traction bars (Mr. Gasket brand) and the freeze plugs were all rotted because it looked like there was never any antifreeze ran in the car. That and the body was in great condition. Numbers matching 383 with only 62k on the odometer. Sat in a garage for a long time. All the interior is there and in original condition. She was quite a find.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
should be three on each side of the block. They can be changed in the car, even with headers, but a PIA. My first '69 had sat for 10 years, and the block plugs were rotted. The ones behind the motor mounts are ESPECIALLY fun......

Back