• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smith's Radiators

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all are well.

Been trying to solve an overheating issue on my 69. New 505 CID motor, Tremec 5 speed and Strange S-60 3.54 rear. In traffic she gets way too close to 250 degrees so I just garaged her and now she's back at the shop and we're searching for a solution.

I'm running a big Aluminum Champion with twin 12" fans and just isn't cutting it.

My tech guy said he heard of Smith Radiators for B Bodies, they supposedly look like factory, but use 1 1/2 tubes and are aluminum. Anyone heard of these or using them?

Thanks guys,

John

quikbird

Reaction score
I have not heard of smith radiators. I have a 500 stroker and am running a prc crossflow with a set of fans from a jeep that I found on the deal table at summit. they happened to be 26" wide and fit very well. At prc you send them the measurements and they custom make the radiator. I think mine ran about $500. ordered it at the goodguys show here in town. it has done great at keeping things cool.

snook

Reaction score
I used a Smith radiator for my old 64 Savoy hemi car - worked good and was a quality piece. $$$. Each car is different though. Ditch the electrical fans, never could get them to work for me. Big cubes and decent compression with 36*+ timing with electric fans never worked for me, even on the race car if I had to sit in the lanes for any length of time.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A shroud and fan will cool better than the electrics. Guys at the factory are pretty smart.

Ranger

Reaction score
Yeah, a fan shroud (and lower thermostat) seems to have solved my problem.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hear some guys swear by the electric fans and others not. I guess depends on the build and other factors. Thanks for all the input. Going to try a Smith's Radiator for now and go from there.

quikbird

Reaction score
electrics seem to work if the shroud for them is set up correctly. its all about moving the air thru the radiator. after that, is there enough cooling surface in the radiator, and are you moving enough coolant. get all three right and will be a much happier car owner. let us know how well the new radiator works.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Quick update on this issue: The Smith's Radiator and twin Spal fans pushing about 1,200 CFM each, this 505 never gets above 195 in traffic. The Spals are quite a bit louder than whatever came with my Champion radiator, but the overheating problem seems to be a thing of the past.

Back