• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I finally got my TTI headers done now the kickdown bellcrank?

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Need some help, had to modify the lower bellcrank per the TTI instructions but now have an early shift issue, have been playing around with lengthening the upper rod and got the shift points to a smooth 1-2 at 15-20 and 2-3 at 35-40 depending on throttle position, however for the life of me I can't get it to kick down at all at any speed.

I am running a QFT 850 on a performer RPM manifold with the AR Engineering throttle bracket made as the replacement for the stock one which raises everything up to match the manifold height. When the trans was rebuilt, the shop extended the upper rod and the kickdown worked fine but shift points at 2-3 were around 50 mph and hard.

Now that I have had to modify the lower bell crank (cut 3/4" out of the center of the bracket and pivot rod.) This caused issues with the intermediate adjustment rod which I had to modify basically bend it some to get it to re fit back on the upper bell crank ball.

I tried using the FSM method of adjustments but I am way to far out in mods now for that to work right so just using those set points as beginning points, right now I have the upper rod set to push the lower bell crank and trans linkage all the way back at WOT. Have not tried it yet but seems to make sense.

Has anyone who has installed TTI with an automatic and followed the instructions have any experience with this? how did you get yours to work?

quikbird

Reaction score
seems that TTI should have run into this problem before. Were they any help or have any tech faqs on the subject?

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Nope, trial and error at this point. What I can't beleive is no one else has done this, I mean 99% of cars I see are using the TTI's guess I'll just have to ask when I see one at the next show. Hard part is not a lot of RR near me that are auto's or the owner decided it was too hard and just went with a lokar cable. I want to get the factory stuff working even modified I am close.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Actually, I'd go back to your trans rebuilder. The problem lies in how the trans was set up at the valve body.

BTW, It isn't a "kickdown linkage" (another GM term that doesn't fit). It gives the throttle position and modulates trans line pressure to that position. The way to set it up is just like the manual says. Adjusting it to change shift points is not the right way to do it and will probably shorten the trans life.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Well, when I get time I will take it back to the shop, in the mean time I was able to get it to kick down to work by following the FSM directions from the trans lever through the intermediate rod via the lower bellcrank to the upper bell crank using a 3/16" rod in the throttle bracket. Then with carb throttle wide open pushing the carb upper adjustment rod backwards until the trans lever was at full back position. This gave me back my kick down however the 1-2 shifts are now at 20 mph and the 2-3 shift comes at 40-45 or so. seemed hard and late so my next adjustment will be back at the intermediate rod and trans lever, re checked this tonight to find the trans lever was not all the way forward so per the FSM installed the 3/16" rod at the upper bellcrank to hold it and pulled the trans lever full forward and re adjusted the ball socket on the intermediate rod to be even with the ball on the upper bellcrank.

Put it all back together and re checked the upper adjustment rod with WOT to find only maybe an 1/8" to 1/4" of play after WOT. did not get a chance to test it but will try tomorrow.

Like I said before, from the trans lever to the upper throttle bracket noting is stock anymore so a custom adjustment is needed, just how much will is what I am working out. Hoping if I get this fixed and the trans does not blow out on my in a year. Others who have or will go this direction will have a guide to go by since there is virtually nothing out there.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Update, tested the last adjustment and although the shifting was fine the kickdown was lost,( took intermediate rod and dropped it down like 4-5 turns) so will reset back to the previous adjustment and take it to the trans shop as I am thinking maybe they should make the adjustments at the trans.

Back