• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something not Right

rollie

Reaction score
I have a stroker 383/496 with approximately 600 hp and 625 ft lbs of torque, MSD ignition, VR706 regulator, new Optimax battery, and MSD blaster coil. Seem to have an issue with the 'next' gear after hard acceleration. Pulls like stink in first and then second gear is not strong. I can accelerate slowly in first and then punch it in second......lots of pull but then not strong in third. Same thing happens if I take it easy in first and second.....then punch it in third up to rev limiter.....and then fourth is not as strong as it should be. Not sure if something electrical breaking down after hard acceleration. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Anyone experienced this before??

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
carb running out of fuel on a hard pull?

rollie

Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting answer. Seems to be lots of fuel pressure and a dual fuel rail into a Quickfuel 850 carb. Tank is full.

Vermont Rocket

Reaction score
Fuel pressure, although a contributor, is not the same as flow. You can have a lot of pressure in a hose, but unless the other end is open, there will be no flow. Fuel pump volume ( flow rate ), hose diameter, fuel filter cleanliness & flow rate ( Fram sometimes rates its fuel filters by horsepower ) , and restrictions in the system can affect flow. I just installed a fuel rail on my Holley and noticed that if I had installed a pressure gauge too deep ( determined by the taper of the pipe thread ) it would have entered the rail & restricted flow.
There's a lot to consider, but I agree with Basketcase that you're running out of fuel. Let us know what you discover, Rocket

Goon

Reaction score
I had a 1/2" fuel sending unit & 1/2" line installed before I put the 493 in my car, haven't had any problems with fuel. I have 585hp and 622lb torque. Just need tires.

Danomt

Reaction score
Does your carb have jet extentions in the rear bowl. If not this is a common problems with a car that will pull soom G's ..

moparchris

Reaction score
Jet extensions will show up as a stumble only in the lower gears when the G forces are high. This sounds like a case of a fuel supply issue like others have said. The pump and the size of the line is the two parts I would look at.

IQ52

Reaction score
I wonder if rollie ever figured this out, I mean he did post the question a full year ago.

Back