• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare tire/jack assembly question

Broken Mopar

Reaction score
On 68-69 roadrunners both coupe and sedan how does the spare tire sit in the trunk? Face up or face down? Thanks. Spook

A12

Reaction score
I vote for face down for correct and face up for best appearance :biggrin-new:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Per the picture on the jack instructions face up. You could go the other way if you like spinning a wing nut forever LOL

Broken Mopar

Reaction score
Well with the spare tire hold down rod on this RR it seems as if the spare needs to be face down as the rod isn't long enough to work if the face of the tire is up. Much prefer mounting with tire face up so are there different length hold down rods available? If so, source please. Thanks in advance. Spook

A12

Reaction score
Per the picture on the jack instructions face up. You could go the other way if you like spinning a wing nut forever LOL

before I say and check something with the jack base or foot I have to say that I always put the spare in with the face up or "red line" showing.......................now I did some research back in the '90's on this and it seems that the correct direction is face down, don't flame me it's just a result of the research and maybe (IMO) the most logical way to mount it. With it face down you gain the room inside of the back of the wheel to put the hook and base and a few other things like I did back in 1969 with my original road runner....a can (see I didn't say bottle :smile-new:) of oil and the filler spout to open it with along with a couple of rags to clean up the mess from those spouts that always leaked :D

A12

Reaction score
Hope you could open the link above if not here are a couple of photos from thereIMG_4207.jpg IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

A12

Reaction score
and one from a very early 1969 promo video on the road runner, GTX and the road runner convertible 1969 spare tire from promo film.jpg

1969 spare tire from promo film.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
i have my spare upside down so I can stuff crap in it.

Back