• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaking of cams, I'll add to this

sam z

Reaction score
Ok, while we're at it.

At present my car is running a MP 484 cam that was installed in the early
90's. The car is running headers (which I complained about a while ago),
has a holley street dominator intake, and runs a 750 holley manual secondary
double pump (model 4779 if I remember correctly). Oh yeah, I should add
that its a '72 440 with 2.14 / 1.81 valves (not sure if they are 906 heads
as a 72 didn't have them). Confident of the valve sizes because I have the
old receipts from the previous owner.

My old black MP book published WAAAAYYY back in the 80's says that the
484 cam is a big as you want to go on the street with an automatic
(which I have).

Any thoughts on this overall set up? I'm thinking of going to stock exhaust
manifolds next year (not fully committed yet). Also, the carb bugs me a little
as MP says this carb is more well suited for a standard tranny.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MP 484 is old, old, old technology... There have been a lot of of advances in cam design since that puppy was introduced...

You know the deal with the headers. If you want it to breathe better keep them. If they are too much of a PITA for you, ditch them knowing that you'll be giving something up. It is what it is...

Wouldn't worry too much about that carb...properly jetted and set-up it will work like a charm...and it has no idea what kind of tranny you're running...

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: And I think when they say anything is borderline for on the street, they are assuming that you drive it every day. :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The iron heads all flow about the same, so don't worry over which ones you have. The 906s might be better on a full tilt engine but for the street it is all 6 of 1...

moparmoose3

Reaction score
nothing wrong with the carb and intake as it's what i have on my 440. and i love it. same valves also. though i am running a comp cam. mcmopar can tell you about it as he knows comp. :D :D :drive: :drive: :banana: :banana:

BBillyC

Reaction score
I've had my XE285HL in now for a couple of weeks and it really is awesome. I still have to do some tweeking particularly with the timing but I can't complain one bit. The best part is that I didn't have to mess with the heads at all for spring clearance and even running high comp pistons I was still able to retain over .100 PTV clearance.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
that's the cam i'm running and i've been very happy with it. :rimshot: :banana:
BBillyC said:
I've had my XE285HL in now for a couple of weeks and it really is awesome. I still have to do some tweeking particularly with the timing but I can't complain one bit. The best part is that I didn't have to mess with the heads at all for spring clearance and even running high comp pistons I was still able to retain over .100 PTV clearance.

Back