• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sponge Bob brakes......

Jim S.

Reaction score
Sorry about the title, couldn't resist. It has come the time this summer to exchange the dot 4 fluid in the Roadrunner. I always do that in all my cars about every three years. What I would like to know is, how you guys do it? I usually suck it out of the master with a turkey baster and pour in the new stuff. Then start at the back pass. side with a hand pump (mity vac) until I figure it is all out of the lines (refilling the master of course). I never really know if it is all out. I don't feel the need to buy the high buck ATE blue stuff. Maybe a drop or so of food coloring? Just wondering what everyone else does...........?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Old school, open all the bleeders with a piece of vacuum hose to a container and let gravity empty the lines and then bleed until clean. Just don't go and put DOT 5 in the system unless you like jelly for brake fluid. Sponge Bob :toetap:

moparchris

Reaction score
I remove the fluid just like you do, then I flush it with denatured alcohol. Then fill with fresh fluid and bleed.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I remove the fluid just like you do, then I flush it with denatured alcohol. Then fill with fresh fluid and bleed.
Why would you take the nature out of alcohol :acme: :jester:

droptop

Reaction score
Does brake fluid go bad?? Can't say that I have ever changed fluid other than when installing new brakes.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
droptop said:
Does brake fluid go bad?? Can't say that I have ever changed fluid other than when installing new brakes.
Moisture can condense in the lines.

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
droptop said:

Yep, that's the main reason I do it. Also it keeps you a step ahead of the "frozen bleeder" problem. Even with anti-seize, those damn things always seem to get corroded over time.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
69hemibeep said:
droptop said:

Yep, that's the main reason I do it. Also it keeps you a step ahead of the "frozen bleeder" problem. Even with anti-seize, those damn things always seem to get corroded over time.
Whats this frozen word you speak of :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

That makes it no fun to drink. :lol: That doesn't stop some people though. :lmao:

Jim S.

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
jim....i think bob is saying frostbite/frozen....brrrrr

Yeah, it's been below zero all stinking week. Maybe some day it will get up to 32° again. I'll be thinking of Bob in July when he can't leave his house until midnight. :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
george68hemirr said:
jim....i think bob is saying frostbite/frozen....brrrrr

Yeah, it's been below zero all stinking week. Maybe some day it will get up to 32° again. I'll be thinking of Bob in July when he can't leave his house until midnight. :lol:
I'm going to spend the summer with my uncle Jim :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
69hemibeep said:
droptop said:

The moisture is absorbed into the brake fluid. The boiling point drops dramatically as the moisture level increases.

mannye

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

Who put the straw in strawberries? Who put the ape in apricot?

Back