• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spongy brakes

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Hey guys, So yesterday as i was driving to work i noticed my brakes were somewhat spongy. I decided to go to continue to work and worry about it later, well i forgot about it til i went to leave and i think it got worst, at 35mph i could push it all the way to the floor and it just felt like i let off the gas, at 15mph it felt like i was just lightly pressing the brake when i actually had my foot to the floor. So I'm guessing there has to be a leak/air in the lines? Is there anything to check that would be different in this as it's drums? I wanna say it's manual drums but it may be power i don't remember...

A31PKG

Reaction score
Squat down and look all around the car for evidence of a leak...brake lines, brake drums (wheel cylinder), etc. Is the level low in the master cylinder? If so, it's likely a leak.... if not, then you probably have a bad master cylinder. Were the brakes fine last time you drove it? It's unlikely that air would all of a sudden appear in the system unless it was opened and not bled properly... Be careful!

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks, i was just out there turns out the master was really low (couldn't see any fluid) i filled it up and it works fine now. I have had the car over a year now and never checked so i don't know how fast or slowly it went down. I'll be keeping an eye on it now. I just sprayed the driveway down once it dries i'll go check for leaks. Glad the master wasn't bad i was getting worried as thats all i need now...
Btw i drove it Tuesday and they were fine, no signs of sponginess then yesterday they were basicly gone.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Btw i drove it Tuesday and they were fine, no signs of sponginess then yesterday they were basicly gone.

That's usually how it happens. There aren't any warning signs when a seal or line blows. Check inside the car where the pushrod comes through the firewall too. When my master crapped out, that's where I found the oil. (no power brakes in my car) Look on the inside of the wheels/tires. If the wheel cylinder went, the fluid will be sprayed around the tire and you'll see a drip from the drum. Basically go over the whole system, I'm sure you'll find something wrong. No such thing as a slow leak with brakes in my book, safety first man. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
pump the pedal up and stand on the pedal for a minute and see if it goes down.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Check the gasket on the master cylinder cap. I was starting to have a similar problem with my '64 Cuda and found that the master cylinder was almost empty. The outside of the CL was wet which I found was caused by a bad cap gasket. I had to get gasket material to make a new one and it's been fine since.

glhcarl

Reaction score
My RR had strange brake problem when I first got it. If I eased the brakes on it was like I had no brakes at all. If I hit them really hard they stopped fine. It ended up being the old fluid was just too thick to flow through the wheel cylinders.

I had to replace the master cylinder, the wheel cylinders and bleed the system until all the old fluid was gone.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
My RR had strange brake problem when I first got it. If I eased the brakes on it was like I had no brakes at all. If I hit them really hard they stopped fine. It ended up being the old fluid was just too thick to flow through the wheel cylinders.

I had to replace the master cylinder, the wheel cylinders and bleed the system until all the old fluid was gone.

Believe it or not, I had that same problem, and did most of the same thing on my '64 Cuda when I first got it. Mine was so bad that I had to replace all the steel and rubber lines in the car. I just couldn't push the old stuff out.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys i played with it alittle and didn't notice any problems. Drove it around the block with no problems so i decided to take it to work. When i got home it was getting dark so i'll check tomorrow to see if it went down any and check for drips under the car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I firts read the title, I thought Hemibeep was the poster.... :acme:
when I firt took mine out this year, it wanted to make a hard 90 to the left. pulled the front wheels and found the left wheel cyl was leaking.
and I had a truck once, that the fluid was disapearing. could not find any leaks. when I was under the tuck for the millonintz time, I noticed the PO had put a new brake line on the right rear, and had the line looped above the rearend housing. there wasn't a tailpipe, and the heat from the exhaust was going right on the brake line. musta been heating the fluid out. and a scarey thing happened, when I touched the line to move it, it broke right off. ran a new line proper, and problem solved.

Back