• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SSBC disc brakes hit sway bar...switched spindles..what brake line on rear mount?

Rocket

Reaction score
Hey guys been making a ton of progress on my Road Runner. Had it pretty much road worthy and decided to install some disc brakes. The donor car had a brand new 4:10 third member , SSBC brakes and a bunch of other odds and ends I have been thankful to glean.

My question is has anyone installed the SSBC 156 kit only to realize that the caliper hits the sway bar on full steer? I called SSBC and they said it wouldn't but it did so I decided to replace my ball joints and swap right spindle,for left and vice versa. Got that all done and was wondering if anyone else did this.

I need a recommendation on what specific line you used or advice on how to go about calculating what I need. If I were mad max I could probably get away with using the one that it came with but it touches the lower control arm and I don't like it.
Any advice or part recommendations would be great.

I also need the brake line that goes from the left front wheel to the distribution block ( wrong name but I'm too tired to look up the name) and one of the lines to the block from the master cylinder. All the places I looked at had whole front kits and I already have half the kit.

Thanks guys. I'll post some pics ASAP.

John

quikbird

Reaction score
have ssbc brakes on mine, have not had any problems with touching anything. used the stock drum spindles

Rocket

Reaction score
Vince: Thank you, I am going to call them tomorrow.
Quikbird: Thanks for your input, I installed them and it hit the sway bar when the wheel was turned. My sway bar comes out quite a bit. I used the stock drum spindles as well. I can't complain though, the donor car had the SSBCs. What master cylinder are you using?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If SSBC brakes are the same as an A-body I do believe I have your part #

Rocket

Reaction score
Doubletap

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket

Reaction score
Maybe the sway bar is mounted wrong. If I put the bleeder at the top the mounting position for the brake line goes right towards the shock. I don't think the one that came with the kit will work Maybe a banjo will work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
On my Valiant project I had to swap spindles putting the calipers on the back side also do to the sway bar interfering

Rocket

Reaction score
69 hemi- I will take a pic of where the line goes to on the caliper...I had everything mounted but I had the bleeders down so I will switch the calipers now...

Rocket

Reaction score
Pics of caliper and hose binding.

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket

Reaction score
Master Cylinder

And while I am bugging the crap out of you guys what master cylinder works best with the SSBC manual disc/drum combo? I got this one with the Satellite (attached pics) , I'm pretty sure it was meant to go with it but no way of knowing for sure. Any clue?

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

Rocket

Reaction score
After I try out 50 brake lines to see what fits I'll be sure to post which one works. Thanks!

Rocket

Reaction score
The previous owner had installed my sway bar incorrectly so I think by installing the sway bar link correctly it will solve this problem. Just wanted to post this up for posterity's sake. Yes I am an idiot but I am a humble idiot at least.

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

Back