• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter bushing

jays69bird

Reaction score
I pulled my starter off the runner. I seemed to remember in the larger hole,the top one,there is supposed to be a split bushing/insert that takes up the difference between the 1/2 inch hole and the 7/16 bolt. Could I be imagining this ? Last time I had the starter off was 26 years ago.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never seen one of those. might be after they were just old cars when I got one they were long gone by then.might check in the tech section here.

droptop

Reaction score
One should be a bolt and the other should be a stud with a nut on it. The stud is intended to support the weight of the starter while starting the bolt.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Well I got the new starter from NAPA,spins the car over pretty good,who needs a high torque mini starter !:eagerness:

jays69bird

Reaction score
I had a heck of a time finding a stock starter,several of the parts stores the old starter supersedes to the smaller high torque Japanese unit. I had to order that one at NAPA. I had trouble with the old one a few years back,took it apart and cleaned it and it was fine. But a week ago I had the car out,went to pull it in the garage and it wouldn't start. Had a good 12.5 volts at the Battery and at the cable into the starter. I hit it with the jump pack and the extra boost started it. So I figured the handwriting was on the wall and started looking for a replacement.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The starters aren't very difficult to fix/rebuild.

The usual problem is the contact at the solenoid. The drives break once in a while too, especially if the engine backfires when starting.

Back