• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Removal w/Hooker SC headers?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
OK, just put my runner on the lift and eyeballed the starter.

Nuts look like easy access, but getting the motor out looks to be a chore :eek:

Will I actually be able to get it out without pulling the header?

Just wanna know before I actually get started

Rocket

Reaction score
Is it a mini-starter? I have Hooker SC 1 7/8" and I don't have PS and I was able to tweak it out. Don't remember if I had the steering column out or not.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Oh I miss those days of pulling the driver side header. Hopefully you have studs instead of header bolts or you'll have to drain your coolant as well.

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Here's what I pulled out

runnerstartermotor1.jpg

runnerstartermotor2.jpg

runnerstartermotor3.jpg

Wasn't bad, but the header definitely had to be loosened up

moparchris

Reaction score
Very cool. I dont run mini starters on my big blocks (yeah yeah I know the world is flat :lol: ) but that looks like a factory mini starter to me and the factory mini starters are the best quality in my opinion. I run them on my small blocks. I go to the auto parts store and buy a high quality rebuilt one for a 94 Dakota. I believe that the Dakota starter fits big block too.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Very cool. I dont run mini starters on my big blocks (yeah yeah I know the world is flat :lol: ).

:yeathat:when I had the Charger with the 440, I had to unbolt the left motor mount, unbolt the header, and jack the engine up. then unbolt the starter,hold th header out of the way, and try to wiggle the starter out. only took 2 1/2 hours. the next time the blue flame came out along with factory manifolds.
two weeks after I got my current car, the starter died. unbolted the header, took out one stud, and the starter came right out. I'm gussing because the 383 is lower?
I've got the mini off the V6 gathering dust for those who refuse to believe the world is flat....

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good trivia on the newer starter motors I may do that on my next project, I sure don't miss my days with headers and don't plan on ever revisting them.

Back