• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering box

Big Mo

Reaction score
This is post that goes along with Russ69runner's post. I thought I had my steering box taken care of until I put it on the K-frame. I bought a remanufactured Power steering box several years ago from NAPA. It is a Triple B. Didn't know that at time of purchase. After mounting it (K- frame out of car) I turned the input shaft 1 3/4 turns. Checked my old one and had 3 1/2 turns stop to stop. Called NAPA they told me to call the co. After some Q&A they told me to return it. Called NAPA and no problem. Then he looked and could not order another. Called Advance Auto, could not get one, they handle Cardone boxes. I called Steer & Gear they said they could rebuild my old one for $ 340.00 plus shipping. Any of you ever deal with Steer & Gear or have any suggestions. Big Mo.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
IIRC Steer and Gear is based in the mid west, if so I got my power steering box from them and had no problems with it. It is a little stiffer feel then the original Chrysler unit. They sent me a reman box and I returned the original unit from my car. Sorry at this point I don't remember what I paid as it was about 8 years ago.

71RR

Reaction score
Had 2 boxes done by Steer-n-Gear and Firm Feel. I can't say either is better than other. Both of mine are top notch, no issues what so ever. Guess it would boil down to how soon you need it, is either company are on back order, that kind of stuff.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Had 2 boxes done by Steer-n-Gear and Firm Feel. I can't say either is better than other. Both of mine are top notch, no issues what so ever. Guess it would boil down to how soon you need it, is either company are on back order, that kind of stuff.
I called Steer & Gear and it will be a two week turn around time. I guess at this time that is what I will do. Thanks for all the posts and info from Big Mo.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had Steer and Gear build me two boxes over the years. Both worked great. Still have one of them. No experience with Firm Feel - purely a matter of logistics (I'm in Florida and they are in Washington) and shipping costs.

Back