• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering box

andy69

Reaction score
Im removing the steering box(power) now have removed the 3 bolts holding the unit,also steering arm and yes have removed pump,lines etc but how do you seperate the box from steering column,do i move the connector back or what...........could someone STEER me in the right direction......cheers......also do i have to remove the whole column,engine etc to remove.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Should be a rolled pin at the coupler you drive out. I'm thinking with a 383 it should come out, exhaust manifold or header might need removed.

A31PKG

Reaction score
X2

Just drive out the roll pin, slide the coupler up on the shaft and you're done!

andy69

Reaction score
Its out...dont know about slide the coupler out though,maybe with a lot of help. You have to drop the box through the bottom,no need to remove anything else(std headers) i backed off all steering column mounts,which helped...and what a heavy mother.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
..and what a heavy mother.[/quote]
Yes they are for their size :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
andy69 said:
adding on all that, how do you get the coupler off.........cheers
Bend the tabs on the cover just enough to slide it apart you don't want to make them weak. That allows everything to come apart except for the main pin which needs to be pressed. I took mine apart to clean it up grease and put a new seal on, black is correct but most places sell red, I can dig up the source if you like, for the black seal. It comes as a kit with all the internals including the main pin.

andy69

Reaction score
After all that,had it checked,they say its not worth fixing....have to buy a new on....$600-.... :crazy:

Back