• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column.

Big Mo

Reaction score
New pin- shoes- and the top rubber seal with holding bracket. Put new grease in it. Around the end where the bearing is the guy on U tube put a strip of peal and stick foam for a bottom seal. Just to keep dirt and such out of the bearing.
Did you buy a kit and do you think this is something that should be rebuilt? When I looked at mine the rubber seal is not torn but is pretty hard. I just looked on Parts Mix at a kit PT# 1001028 with red seal. Is that what you used? Your bud Big Mo.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say it is 50 years old and figured I better look into it. So decided to put new part's in and fill with new grease. Always thinking that if I don't do something with the parts then would be really mad if latter it gives me a problem. It is called preventive maintenance keep a tight ship. :thumbsup2:

Big Mo

Reaction score
Just to say it is 50 years old and figured I better look into it. So decided to put new part's in and fill with new grease. Always thinking that if I don't do something with the parts then would be really mad if latter it gives me a problem. It is called preventive maintenance keep a tight ship. :thumbsup2:
Oh yes I do understand that way of thinking. Most times I am on that but I dropped the ball on this one. Thanks Russ, Big Mo.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Oh yes I do understand that way of thinking. Most times I am on that but I dropped the ball on this one. Thanks Russ, Big Mo.
Russ I took the knuckle apart and cleaned everything. All I need is the rubber boot. Will get new one.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just add grease and the new rubber and you will be fine. I just had to look and ordered the part's so put them in. Would be bad if I finished the car and something broke in their. Have a good one Big Mo. :steering:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks Big Block. One more part down. The horn pad dose show it age but better than what I had. Later will look into what can be done to bring back the grain look where when driving. Next to the steering wheel it is gone. The pad is not cracked but just worn. Latter buddy. Russ.

Back