Steering Column

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need help. For a looooong time I have been meaning to replace the spring for the shifter on my '68 RR which has an auto on the column. You know which spring? The one that provides the tension when you pull the shifter back to shift into RND21....

I pulled the steering wheel, retainer/turn signal switch, snap ring, and the two nuts which hold the bearing housing (as it is referred to in the service manual) this is the housing which has the shifter dial.
Seems like this should slide off the shaft now........IT DOESN'T :brickwall:

H E L P ! ! !

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
been about 20 years since I pulled one of those collars off. I do remember it being a bear to get off. I didn't have a FSM, so it was learn as I went.

A12

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Ok guys, I need help. For a looooong time I have been meaning to replace the spring for the shifter on my '68 RR which has an auto on the column. You know which spring? The one that provides the tension when you pull the shifter back to shift into RND21....

I pulled the steering wheel, retainer/turn signal switch, snap ring, and the two nuts which hold the bearing housing (as it is referred to in the service manual) this is the housing which has the shifter dial.
Seems like this should slide off the shaft now........IT DOESN'T :brickwall:

H E L P ! ! !

Sounds like you did everything you needed to do and it seems that it should just pull off as you thought. Here are some pages from the '68 repair manual maybe someone here can see or read something that might have been missed.

MikeR

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
The "upper bearing" in Fig 9. I already removed the snap ring, I just cant get the upper bearing off....
Almost seems like it's pressed on. I have the bearing still inside the collar in one of my spare parts boxes.
So it came off a parts car approx. 10 years ago.
Last night I tried using a hair dryer (don't laugh) to heat it up a little hoping to expend the bearing ring.
TO NO AVAIL....... :leave:

:brickwall:

A12

Reaction score
It does show a puller on the manual page after this one????

A12

Reaction score
Fig 3: Removing steering shaft from upper bearing.....

MikeR

A12

Reaction score
Don't know if you could modify a steering wheel puller and pull it off of the shaft or if you need that puller shown? Looks like a tight press fit of that upper bearing that's giving you the problem? Nothing a hammer won't fix.......just kidding.

Might try a metal disc on a steering wheel puller or bolt and nut and holes drilled in the right place to get the screws into the assembly. They use a hollow tube to keep it straight but a steering wheel type puller I bet would work.

MikeR

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I know this sounds dumb, but when I was looking through my service manual, I saw these fig's BUT I was thinking I was removing the upper bearing from the steering shaft, not removing the steering shaft from the upper bearing........
After work I am going to Home Depot to pick up long small screws to screw into the housing and rig my steering wheel puller - a little concerned since the housing is some sort of mystery pot metal.....

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Yippee, I did it..... :cheers:
First of all, thanks for the responses! I truly appreciate them!
Ok, I went to Lowes after work today and picked up three 6" 8 x 32 threaded rods, along with some nuts, and washers. (I have a spare column shift collar I took with me)
I rigged my puller with these pieces and came up with this......

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Thanks A12, and BTW I would like to see the tool you created mac.....when you get a chance.

I have to say, this webboard / site has a really great bunch of guys!
I missed the Carlisle show this year, and I never miss it, but at the time my baby boy was only two months old, and my cousin backed out....

I hope to meet a lot of you guys next Carlisle 2010!!!

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
This piece is the small spring which creates the tension when you pull the auto on column shifter toward you to change from RND21..... have you seen one broken??? This is why there was no tension in mine.......and the reason why I did this little project.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
.....of course the good one is up top in the pic....a spare that I had from when I parted a '68 318 4 door Belvedere I parted in around 1994. That was a fun car. Auto tranny, no power steering.... :drive:

A12

Reaction score
and THANKS for posting those photos of how you removed it too, now we all know how to do it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You know that I have a '68 road runner too :thumbsup: and it's a column girlymatic with NO power steering, No power brakes, No power windows, No power seats, just 383 POWER :D

MikeR

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the three holes I used were the threaded holes for the turn signal switch. No mods necessary.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
A12 said:
and THANKS for posting those photos of how you removed it too, now we all know how to do it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You know that I have a '68 road runner too :thumbsup: and it's a column girlymatic with NO power steering, No power brakes, No power windows, No power seats, just 383 POWER :D

MikeR
I'd like to see the interior of that 68.........

mac

What ?
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Thanks A12, and BTW I would like to see the tool you created mac.....when you get a chance.

I have to say, this webboard / site has a really great bunch of guys!
I missed the Carlisle show this year, and I never miss it, but at the time my baby boy was only two months old, and my cousin backed out....

I hope to meet a lot of you guys next Carlisle 2010!!!

well i looked for about 2 hours last night to find it and no gots. that means i probably lent it to someone and have not received it back. basically what it was, was a piece of metal tubing that would fit over the shaft and rest on the inner race of the bearing. one end had a large washer welded to it that i drilled 3 holes into for the 3 screws that go into the column. the other end had a nut welded to it for a bolt to drive the shaft out. same principle as you made with your puller, just a bit more compact. great job with a little inginuity.

Back