• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering fix

sam z

Reaction score
Nothing big to read here, just posting that I had swapped out my leaking power steering box
for a reman unit. So far I think all is good, steering is far more responsive with much less slop.

I didn't go with the switch to manual, mostly due to cost. Based upon my numbers, it was
$175 for the adapter, plus anywhere from $250 or more for the box, plus labor to install.
With keeping it at PS, the reman box was $150. A little easier on the wallet.

If it turns out to be a leaky P.O.S. anytime or whatever else may happen I'll let frustration
rule and I'll switch to manual.

And, Hey Mac, just figured I'd let you know that the tech that did the PS box for me was
very complimentary on how much better the car is running. Thanks again.

Enjoy the long weekend guys.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sam z said:
Nothing big to read here, just posting that I had swapped out my leaking power steering box
for a reman unit. So far I think all is good, steering is far more responsive with much less slop.

I didn't go with the switch to manual, mostly due to cost. Based upon my numbers, it was
$175 for the adapter, plus anywhere from $250 or more for the box, plus labor to install.
With keeping it at PS, the reman box was $150. A little easier on the wallet.

If it turns out to be a leaky P.O.S. anytime or whatever else may happen I'll let frustration
rule and I'll switch to manual.

And, Hey Mac, just figured I'd let you know that the tech that did the PS box for me was
very complimentary on how much better the car is running. Thanks again.

Enjoy the long weekend guys.
Seems you rekindled your love for the old car Sam :thumbsup:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
glad things are going i the right direction. will expect to see you out at some of the cruise nights with your car this season.

dobie

Reaction score
Awesome!

I've got to replace my steering box at some point too.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the handling Sam. I changed my PS box last year with a Steer and Gear unit and am very happy with the way it handles. It is so much better then it was before and it was more then worth the money and effort to install it.

zupanj

Reaction score
I just replaced my steering box as well as a number of other suspension parts; shocks, t-bars and upper A-arms. The reason I replaced the box was the sloppy feel in the steering, I could move the wheel a quarter turn either direction without moving the tires and I hated that. Well the car feels much more solid now, I also added sub-frame connectors, but it still has the steering slop when driving in a straight line. I am beginning to think the problem is somewhere else, maybe tie rod ends. I am going to get it diagnosed this week. If it is the box, Firm Feel will stand by it but I doubt that's the problem. The pitman arm pretty much moves in unison with the steering wheel. My point, if I have one, is to be sure you have a good diagnosis of the problem before replacing parts.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Enjoy the long weekend guys.[/quote]
Seems you rekindled your love for the old car Sam :thumbsup:[/quote]

hey Sam, glad you're keeping the car. how 'bout a pic(or two) :D

MadBird69

Reaction score
The steering box is shot in mine too, so ordered one from Firm Feel. They cost a little more than a reman, but I've heard good things about them. The alignment shop in town says everything they make is usually spot on with no issues. Everything else out front is good, so this should cure the problem. Hopefully...

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sam, the reman unit should be good to go. I put an Autozone reman unit in mine back in '03 and haven't had one leak yet. And as you have said, the steering felt much better than the previous unit, which was a reman I put in it back in '85 the first time I owned the car.

Back