• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering seems to float

pobox144@yahoo.com

Reaction score
The steering on my 69 seems to be kind of soft or floating. I do not have power steering and probably the original steering gear box. Maybe this is just the way the cars drove back in 1969, I really can't remember that specific.

What do you guys think, is this something I should try to correct or is it a live with it issues. Any suggestions on what to consider doing would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my present and my last road runner have manual steering. This one steers easier than the last one. Not sure what you mean about floating, unless you mean you can move the steering wheel left-right without anything happening. Some of this is normal in an old car.There is a different feel than the new rack and pinion steering. Unless you have excessive side to side without any response, i wouldn't worry about it. If you can, have someone fimilar with older cars take it for a drive.
and welcome from Ohiop, and let's see that runner!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
They drifted around a bit, a little more so on bias plies but I would check for worn parts anyway, its an old car.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You can adjust the feel of the steering by loosening the locknut on the top of the box and using a large, flat blade screwdriver to turn the slotted stud clockwise IIRC. It will never be as "tight" as you would like - those old recirculating ball steering boxes were notorious for their "looseness." I remember my 1st RR with manual steering - I had to move the wheel a decent amount before it would respond and go in the direction intended.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
IIRC= If I remember correctly.

There's a lot of possible issues. Tires are one. If you have bias ply tires, they feel a lot different than radials. It may be a combination of things though. Tires... Old car "feel" and front end alignment.

I'm betting alignment is the culprit here.

There's a lot of front end guys that have NO IDEA how to get the front end aligned correctly. Your problem could some toe out or not enough caster. The toe in/out is how the front wheels point down the road. Toe in means the car is "pigeon toed" with the front of the wheels pointed in. Toe out is the opposite. Caster is harder to explain, but it's the inclination of the steering axis. It keeps the tires straight... When you turn the steering wheel, it's caster that brings the car straight when you let go.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Dad had a '70 Chevy PU that you could put your hand on the wheel at 3 o'clock and turn it to 9 o'clock before the wheels would turn.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not to mention that you could pull the shaft out of the column several inches...he didn't kep that one long.

A31PKG

Reaction score
The steering on my 69 seems to be kind of soft or floating. I do not have power steering and probably the original steering gear box. Maybe this is just the way the cars drove back in 1969, I really can't remember that specific.

What do you guys think, is this something I should try to correct or is it a live with it issues. Any suggestions on what to consider doing would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all.

I have aligned hundreds of these cars. They will never compare to a modern rack & pinion set-up. That said, when done properly, they line up just fine and go straight - provided the tires are not uneven. I would have the suspension checked by someone that knows and understands vintage suspension construction and geometry. Then get a good alignment. I just did a '70 GTX last week for a buddy of mine. He just rebuilt the entire front-end - and I mean everything. That car is a pleasure to cruise...

inri

Reaction score
Yank out the power steering and that will correct the soft or floating issue you're having.

modernistsouth

Reaction score
Is no power steering better on these cars? I have never had a late 60's or 70's era car without it. I'm trying to remember if our 76 C10 with 3 on the tree had it. It could be hell to turn.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Is no power steering better on these cars? I have never had a late 60's or 70's era car without it. I'm trying to remember if our 76 C10 with 3 on the tree had it. It could be hell to turn.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Manual steering take no power to run and has a little more road "feel". It's can be a bear to turn when parking (basically you have to have the car moving to steer) and the steering isn't near as quick as power steering.... the number of turns "lock to lock" is a lot more and you wouldn't want to run autocross with it.

Power Steering loses a bit of road "feel", but the car is a lot more responsive to steering input and your wife can park it. It does take a little power to spin the pump and it's heavier, but you'll never notice that in a street car.

Of the two... I would chose power steering.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Actually you guys ought to drive my 36 Terraplane with the worm and sector steering and 6.00x16 tires,goes every direction except straight !:eek:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've has both manual and power steering in the 2 RR's I have owned. I much prefer the power steering with a good alignment and good tires.

Back