• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel removal

Steve

Reaction score
Hi,
Does the centre cap with with the bird on simply prise off.Thought I'd ask first before trying it and breaking it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Depends on which wheel you have. From the wood rim and the "taxi cab" wheel, the center comes off with a 1/4 turn CCW. The standard wheel center is a little different. You have to carefully pry the bird emblem out of the center and underneath is a small bolt. Unscrew that and it comes off.

For the wheel, use a wheel puller that bolts to the wheel, not a hub puller or anything like that as it will damage the wheel.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Oh yeah.. Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome....the wood grain wheel just pulls off...at least that is how the one on my old '66 Charger was.

John69RR

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Steve. For the plastic 3 spoke wheels, if you look closely on the right side there is a tab. I usually use a small screwdriver on the LEFT side to pry the cap off.

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,much obliged.I'll have a go at it on Saturday.

BTW I'm not a newbie,I'm the guy with the small garage that amused some of you (see below) I've only just found you all again :wave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, I remember that TINY garage. or is it just that the car is that big?
glad you found us!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
yeah, I remember that TINY garage. or is it just that the car is that big?
glad you found us!

I remember now too! And Dave, I think you're right on both counts. I was going to ask Steve now much grease does he use to get that car in and out of that garage! Glad you found us again.

Back