• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still Waitin on the Wheels

BBillyC

Reaction score
In February I ordered a new set of 15 x 12 cragar 4.5 backset along with some 30" mickey thompson for the bird. I wait, and wait, and wait then they call and say April 20th. Nope not there on that day....wait....more waiting 2 weeks, nope still not in last week they say Monday. I go Monday and open 1 box at the store and it is a beautiful cragar classic...and look at one tire....awesome. I say put them on the rims and I'll come back tomorrow and pick em up. The store calls me today and says got the first one on and went and crabbed the other box (still sealed) took out the rim and guess what....wrong friggin rim. Next news...maybe a few more months wait....WTF. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
crazy......how are you buying them from??
i ordered tires for my truck thru jegs....2 weeks later they said it was back ordered and wouldn't be 4-6 weeks....so i cancelled and got them thru summit......things are tight and it seems like they aren't stocking up there warehouses like they used to.....you have to shop around to see if they are in stock

moparchris

Reaction score
George is right. I actually ran into this problem from Summit racing for another part. So I called the manufacturer directly and asked when they would be available. I then called Summit back and asked them to call the person I just talked to and drop ship them. Much faster.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I ordered them through a local dealer who was cheaper than Summit or Jegs...but being a dealer he was probably getting them from either one of those two. Turns out he got one from one warehouse and one from another.....and they didn't match. Apparently the match is available in a week via ground shipping, so I asked them to put them on a plane and I'd pay the extra shipping. Somehow I got the feeling that that request made them nervous???

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well at least Moser if very responsive. Since I am narrowing the rear end by 3" a side they said two axles at 26-3/16" each. I am going to pick up the one tire and rim today and begin fitting one side at a time and hopefully I can most of the rear end assembled by the time the replacement rim arrives.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Picked up the one new rim and tire and :eek: :eek: :eek: they are huge. But they will fit :banana: :banana: :banana: Later today I am going to put it on one side at a time and measure to see how much I will have to narrow the axles. My bet is 2.5", we'll see when the tape comes out.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Here's the start. Have to narrow the housing by 3 inches. I put this one tire on for a measure test. Wow are these things huge. I've ordered new Moser axles and will do the housing myself...which I will photo-document for all of you.

IMG_3786.jpg
IMG_3785.jpg
IMG_3784.jpg

BBillyC

Reaction score
I relocated the springs last year. I photo_documented it on one of my posts last year under projects. I have ordered the new axles but don't want to start this project until I have all of the stuff here, then I can get it all done in one day.

BBillyC

Reaction score
If I leave them sticking out it becomes a double cop magnet. My buddy with a coronet was busted and had his car impounded by the cops for 30 days plus $800.00 fine for having the wheels stick beyond the fender line. Don't think I want to try that.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
yeah its not the look stickin out like that......how much room do you have between the inner tire and the spring??

BBillyC

Reaction score
I'll have to measure...with the tire the way it is I think it is about 5". Once inboard there should be about a little under 2".

Back