• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Striker Adjustment

Ranger

Reaction score
Car has been on jack stands since I bought it in Dec. While I used the down time to fix all the little things before the spring driving season. Drove it home from DTW with no problem, but suddenly the drivers door will not latch. 99% sure all I need to do is adjust the striker, buy the 3 Phillips screws WILL NOT budge. Tried WD40, whacking them with a drift to break the bond, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
jack stands?

Try adjusting the latch on the door if adjustment is what you REALLY need.

But first....
You mentioned it is on jack stands right?
Put it back on the ground and they will probably close just fine.

Danged uni-bodies.

Ranger

Reaction score
The adjustment is made from the striker (on the door jamb) not the latch (on the door). In fact, I don't think the latch is adjustable.

I should clarify that the jack stands are under the rear axle housing and the lower control arms, not the body so that should not make any difference. I think the car is sitting exactly as it would be if the wheels where on and it was on the ground.

Ranger

Reaction score
Pretty straight. As I said, it worked fine when I parked it. Maybe I'll put the wheels back on and see what happens. I was holding off trying to decide which wheels I wanted to use, but I'm leaning towards the Cragars.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I would get the car back on the wheels before adjusting anything. Yes, the stands in those spots are OK.. but I would get it off the stands and eliminate any question.

The striker is the only real way to adjust it IF the door is in good adjustment otherwise. The screws can be turned... It takes a large phillips screw driver that fits correctly. I know... that sounds simple, but I'm always amazed at guys using the wrong size. I clamp a pair of vise grips to the shaft of the driver and push real hard to keep the driver from slipping. Some guys use an impact driver.... It's a screw driver that you smack with a big hammer and it turns the driver. I'd try the vise grips first.

But.... You say it won't latch. Is the latch working right? Is the door locked? Work the door latch first and try it. If that doesn't do anything, Use the door handle, reach into the latch and see if the "gear" turns when you put pressure on it as you work the handle. I've seen this many times where the latch is in some sort of "half latched" or latched condition and the door won't latch.

Ranger

Reaction score
Thanks Big John. I'll set it on the wheels and see if that should make any difference.

The latch and "gear" works fine, first thing I checked. As I said, it worked fine before I put it up so maybe that does have something to do with it. Everything lines up perfectly, but it feels as if the rubber bumper is too big to allow the gear to grab the striker. Like it needs another 1/8".

If this doesn't work, I think the impact driver (probably the only tool I do not own) will have to be the way to do. These screws are REALLY stubborn.

Will advise.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
Well, the car is back on the tires, but it's not much better. I CAN get it to latch, but I have to slam it like I'm trying to break it. It either needs the striker adjusted or new (softer) rubber bumpers.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you might pull the rear door panel off, so you can get to the back of the screws, and hit them with some PB Blaster.

Ranger

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the rubber bumpers need to be replaced. They are hard as rocks. Actually, I should probably replace them all, doors, hood, suspension. All are hard and cracked.

Ranger

Reaction score
Ordered the bumpers today, but they are not the problem. The old one was broken so having already ordered new ones, I broke the top half off to allow the door to close a bit more. No change. :upset: So I picked up a hex shaft Philips bit, but it in a socket and put the socket on an impact. Pressed the gun in real tight and one quick burst and it spun the lower screw right out. :tickled_pink: Thought I'd solved the problem, but it was too soon to celebrate. The next two hung in there and the bit just spun, rounding out the screw heads. :soap: As I see it now, I have two choices, drill them out and use an easy out, but they seem to be in so tight I'm not sure if that will work. The only other option I can think of is to tack weld a hex shaft (cut off Allen wrench) to the screw head, put a socket on it and and hope the weld holds.

I just don't understand. The damned door closed just fine when I drove it home. :huh:

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you drill out the screws, just use a drill that is the same size as the body of the screw. A left hand drill if possible.

When you get through the head, the head will pop off. Do the other screw and then pull the striker off. The screw bodies will be left sticking out and it's very likely they will be loose... if not grab them with vise grips.

Ranger

Reaction score
Thanks Big John. Hadn't thought of that approach. I think I may try tack welding a hex shaft first. If that doesn't hold and the weld breaks, then I'll still be able to drill. Better pull the loose one first and get a set of replacements from the hardware store before I destroy them all. Update to follow.

Ranger

Reaction score
Easy Out to the rescue. :banana:

Started drilling the head to insert a hex shaft so I could tack weld it and decided to drill a little deeper and try an Easy Out. I could not believe how easily they turned with the Easy Out. Replaced them with torx head screws. Philips head screws should be outlawed!

So I adjusted the striker every which way from Sunday and got no improvement. The door latches, but I have to slam it harder than I like and harder than the passenger side. The only difference I can see is that the passenger side has a very thin shim between the striker and the body, but I honestly can't see where that would make any difference. Guess it's something I'm just gonna have to live with.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I haven't, but can't speak for the PO (I've only had the car since Dec.). It almost feels like that is what the problem is, but I can't see anything obvious.

dmartin

Reaction score
you might try new pins in the door, see if you can pick up the door while open all the way by using the door handle

Ranger

Reaction score
First thing I thought of. Very little door movement when I try to lift it. I think Droptop is on to something. Will inspect a bit closer in a few days.

Ranger

Reaction score
Success! After playing with it a few more times, it now closes (and latches) with very little effort.

Back