• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping/Painting my 68 RR

bernardotom

Reaction score
My painter/mechanic wants about 3K to paint over my green "Maaco" paint (at least two coats on it now.. Can I or should I even attempt to strip it myself? I have used airplane stripper on a porch railing, but never on a car. I know it's nasty stuff. I hate to just paint over the paint that's there- I know what's going to happen . eng. bay is school bus yellow-already done- it was stripped and looks good-single stage paint. Body does need some work. Help!:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I used a water based stripper years ago on my '68 Charger, pretty easy. I wouldn't do it in direct sunlight. do a panel at a time, then move on. work at your own pace, and you'll be fine. just follow the directions for your stripper, and post plenty of pics for the pic whores here...:lol:

bernardotom

Reaction score
Thank you Basketcase! That gives me confidence. Believe I will attempt it after I get my electricals under dash (new wiring harness) done. $900 for the harness plus installation charge from my mechanic. Honor the timeless classics!!!

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Just do like Dave said and work at it at your pace and it will get done.

Oh yah the ol'gizzer ya talked about in the other post don't make a difference in working on these cars as I'm just 49 days away from that 70 mark and I work on them as the ol'body lets me sometimes 3 maybe 5/6 hours.:encouragement:

bernardotom

Reaction score
Thank you abodybill and basketcase. I will hang in there and go w/ the flow (masters!!!) (Get busy livin' or get busy dyin!! The classics keep me "livin"!!!! Best to all of you!

Back