• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure Grip fluid?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
After a lot of searching I found and pulled the trigger on a 3.91/489 clutch type Sure grip 3rd memeber. So now I have my first winter project. Question is what fluid to use? Do I need to add the Mopar additive, I have heard from some that the Lucas products have an additive as part of the fluid. Whats everyone using?

Thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot provide a consistent answer here; most of my junk currently has the Lucas fluid in it, but I have a couple (my SS/T and the Swinger) that I used the regular Valvoline gear oil in with the MoPar additive... Haven't had any problems with either set-up...

Ray

moparchris

Reaction score
I use the Lucas synthetic and it doesn't require any additive. I have used this in multiple customers rears with no reported problems. Although it never hurts to use the additive when in doubt since it wont hurt it, but without it, it will chatter on turns.

Back