• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sway Bar bushing replace

69bbeep

Reaction score
Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to replace the polyurethane bushings on my front sway bar? How in the heck can you put the bushing on the sway bar and then stuff it into the bracket? :brickwall:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Channel locks with padding for the teeth are your friends - along with a lot of good silicon grease.

A31PKG

Reaction score
It is certainly one of the most "un-fun" procedures in MOPARland.....
I've heard of folks cutting through the weld on the bracket, installing the bushing, & then clamping it back down for a quick stitch from the MIG....as long as you weld fast, & dunk it in water, it stands to reason that any bushing damage would be minimal...

I do, however, believe that the standard rubber bushing is more flexible & thus easier to install...

Like mcmopar says, lube, & padded channel locks....

Oh yes, & a few expletives.....

BTW: 69bbeep...I had a yellow '68 'Bee that I had black steelies on like you...love that look!

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i have had great success with (i will try to describe the best i can) a small piece of 2x4, cut to dimensions of 3.5 x 3.5 x 1.5. then i drilled a 1 1/8" hole in the center. then cut the piece in half so it will fit around the sway bar. used 2 deck screws to hold it together. slide the bushing on the bar and then the bracket. using 2 padded bar clamps i evenly squeezes the bushing into the bracket (used dish soap to make slippery). looks kinda prehistoric but worked really well compared to the first time i tried putting the bushings in my first car.
IMG_1967.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my sway bar was MIA when I got the car. a buddy gave me a bar, but it was missing one of the mounts. I picked up one and a couple used rubber bushings off the bay or the 'parts. I took it all to work one night and had one of our maintenance guys do the cut and weld. didn't even singe the rubber, but Tim is a good welder.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had very little problem installing the poly sway bar bushings. Once properly lubed up they are actually a fairly easy install.

69bbeep

Reaction score
Ok guys, You make this sound easy but it has been everything but. I slid/ put the bushing on the bar then the bracket on. I applied the grease but this is where I'm having a problem. I can't get the bushing to slid into the bracket. I have tried "C" clamps, and vise grips for that mater any potiential clamp that I could find. Arrrrrrrg to no avail!!!! No luck.... son of a B@#$!...Basically, I spent approx 3 hours trying to get this piece of vintage iron crap to work! :brickwall:
My last resort will be to cut the bracket and weld...but I don't wont to let this get the best of me. Any encourging words or helpful hints? This could be my next option :hack:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's why I did the :hack: and weld. saves alot of :soap: :soap: :soap:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I tried that approach first but the bracket compressed the bushing too much and I couldn't get it over the end link eyehole. I just lubed 'em up, got them on over the end link eye hole and used some channel locks to squeeze them into position in the brackets. Worked Like I knew what I was doing :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I tried that approach first but the bracket compressed the bushing too much and I couldn't get it over the end link eyehole. I just lubed 'em up, got them on over the end link eye hole and used some channel locks to squeeze them into position in the brackets. Worked Like I knew what I was doing :huh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I tried putting them together on the bar and it was like putting toothpaste back into the tube, I gave up and put the bushing into the bracket lubed it set it on the floor on a rag and pushed and rocked the swaybar until it bottomed out against the floor and it slipped the rest of the way over the eye pretty easy :cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
OK, everyone send their swaybars out to SpongeBob, and their heaters to Mac :thumbsup:

Collin

Reaction score
Well after seeing Solid Golds pics, and the pics of the Concourse Hemi I feel like a jerk HAHA. This cars are done so flawlessly and meticulous that I cant imagine the work that went into them. I just hillbillied mine and just spray painted my front suspension silver with some rustoleom. Should do the trick, silver looks better than grease that was there! I will try to post pics soon, but I gotta tell you it dosent even come close to what these guys do. And I didnt bother to take our my sway bar busings, I couldnt find a matching set to put back in there so I am just going to use what I have!

Back