• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tear down completed and off to blaster today.

JJRJR

Reaction score
offtomediablasting.jpg

Off to blaster today. Turns out that this thing was a rust and bondo bucket. Got robbed on the purchase, but I love her nonetheless. Much more $$ that I had thought, but can't turn back now. Going with Q5 Seafoam Turquiose and all white interior.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
WOW! That's a lot work there, but it sounds like you have the right attitude to get it done. Good luck!

JJRJR

Reaction score
Sure is at least twice what I thought it would be, but it's 42 years old and she shows every day of it. I think it was stored at the bottom of the ocean for 10 years or so. LOL. Anyway, it will get done and I'm sure it will look awesome when done. Not much of the original sheet metal made the cut, so had to replace floor pans, trunk pan, both quarters, wheelhouses, all the suspension, leaf springs, shocks, brakes, etc. Pretty much will be better than new.

Also having frame connectors and torque boxes installed and got the hemi leaf springs. Eddy shocks and all Poly bushings. May have to return the power disc brake kit and go with standard disc non-power assisted due to vacuum issues, but we'll see.

Thanks,

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
when all said and done you will have a brand new roadrunner and be very proud of what you have built.....alot of us here have been there and done that.......alot of work but the end result is is all worth it

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind encouragement; it's much needed. Trying to decide if it's worth porting the Eddy RPM head I got or leave well enough alone. Heard a nice port/polish job on those heads will really give it some power.

J

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It's nothing that won't buff out :jester: Won't be long and it will be going together :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Its pretty common for guys to run into this scenario when they get into a repainted car. Unless its in original paint then you just assume its going to have some scary :bricks: going on. I applaud your will to persevere. It will be awesome when your done! Pace yourself!

A31PKG

Reaction score
You may have mentioned this in another post, but are you going with the contoured frame conectors such as from US CarTool? They really look awesome, almost factory-appearing IMO...

JJRJR

Reaction score
A31PKG: Yes, we are getting the frame connectors and the torque boxes from US Car Tool. The way the body guy explained it to me, they get welded up under the floor pans and follow the contours of the bottom of the pan; like the factory. I figured with a 42 year old frame, a little extra rigidity will go a long way. I know the frames are tough, but I'm adding about 140 HP and a ton of TQ.

Thanks,

John

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
been there gonna be there again soon l hope. keep us updated. and like othes said lt'll be worth lt when she's done.

nicanor

Reaction score
John,

When I first built my Corvette I didn't have a lot of vacuum and my power assist brakes were very weak as well as the pop-up headlights. So I installed a vacuum pump and that helped tremendously. When I rebuilt the engine I put in a cam with a little less lift and more vacuum and I was able to get rid of the vacuum pump. I currently have disc front brakes and drum rear brakes on my Roadrunner without the power brake assist and the car brakes fine.

Also I would get a couple of opinions about using a poly bushing set. Though they wear well, they get very noisy very quickly.

Good luck. Hope its ready for the opening of next season.
Barry

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks Barry. I'll be posting more pics later today. Car got back from media blasting and it looks greast. I think we may have to go with a vacuum pump and see how that works. The guy doing my car things he'll be able to get it to work with the pump.

I'll also ask about the poly bushings; this is the first I've heard about them getting noisy, thanks for the tip.

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
Media Blasting Done. Time to put Humpty Dumpty together agai

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
If you change your cam specs a bit it will have plenty of vacuum. Just widen the lobe seperation out to 112 or 114. It will smooth out the idle too and spread out the powerband allowing you to have a tighter torque converter and run less gear. Choppy idles and high vacuum reading dont exist together. Well unless its 600 inches then all bets are off.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wlsh that's where mlne was just so l knew for sure what was under the yellow

Back