• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Hammtrack hummingbird is sings its death song

jays69bird

Reaction score
Well I let my son and his fiance take off in the bird today with the top down,I figure it is going to be his car soon enough. I get a call later that she would not turn over,so I told him welcome to the wonderful world of Chrysler gear reduction starters. I told him to take a hammer and lightly rap on the starter and that did the trick. Now I have had the starter on there since 1989 and it was the top of the line NAPA unit when I bought it,do I replace with another stock style or go with the new fangled mini starter ? Opinions ?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Since 1989? 25 years life tells the tale. Buy a starter that sounds like a Mopar starter!

Or.... the issue is usually pretty simple. The electrical contact inside the starter... the one that the solenoid hits... erodes away and starts giving you problems. It's pretty cheap and reasonably easy to replace. The contact looks like a bolt with the head bent over. One end is threaded and sticks out for the battery cable to bolt to.

A little bit of cleaning and maybe a little high pressure grease applied sparingly and you're back in business.

mcmopar

Reaction score
For a stocker the stock unit is fine. It wouldn't survive on mine...:facepalm:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if I ever get a cell phone that'll be my ringtone

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The earth is flat... :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: