• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rear seal leak...

mannye

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that rear main seal drip is a factory installed option. Is there anything short of taking the whole drivetrain assemble apart I can do to remedy that drip? I've had it since I bought the car almost 10 years ago, but lately, it's really getting to me since it's all nice and clean now except for that puddle of oil it leaves everywhere.

The other day, I parked in my friend's driveway which is nicely paved with Chicago brick and even though he never said a word, I felt terrible when I pulled out and there was a nice little reminder of my visit... a 3 inch oil stain!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for ya, and I wonder the same thing. I knew when I bought the car that the rear main had a small leak. It seemed to get bigger as time went on so I had someone replace the seal for me, and, well, it still has a small leak, not real bad but when it sits long enough it will leave it's mark!!. At this point I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it.

John69RR

Reaction score
Other than replacing the seal I don't know of another fix. Transmission stop leak formulas swell the seals so they seal better. However once they start leaking again you need to replace them. Back to the rear main, I've had pretty good luck with the new neoprene rubber seals. Just be sure you do not match up the mating surfaces with the rear main cap. I offset the seal about 1/2" then use a small amount of sealant on the cap mating surfaces. Be careful putting the side seals in as these may lead to leaks also. Once you soak them in mineral spirits you do not have a lot of time before they start to swell.

Jim S.

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Other than replacing the seal I don't know of another fix. Transmission stop leak formulas swell the seals so they seal better. However once they start leaking again you need to replace them. Back to the rear main, I've had pretty good luck with the new neoprene rubber seals. Just be sure you do not match up the mating surfaces with the rear main cap. I offset the seal about 1/2" then use a small amount of sealant on the cap mating surfaces. Be careful putting the side seals in as these may lead to leaks also. Once you soak them in mineral spirits you do not have a lot of time before they start to swell.
I do it the same. It is also getting harder to find the fiber side seals that you soak in mineral spirits. Most new kits tell you to just RTV the side grooves. Hard to do a good job that way on your back with the engine still in the car. 440 source sells neoprene side seals that work pretty good.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that reminds me........my front seal is leaking........

mannye

Reaction score
OK! So it looks like I'll be traveling with a pan to throw under the car for those times I find myself on a fancy driveway.

sam z

Reaction score
So I'm not the only one with a 40 something year old engine that leaks
a little here and there? I knew I couldn't be the only one....

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I just seen in my year one catalog they have a kit to do the rear main seal on a big block with the engine still in the car.

Back